GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my car this morning and noticed some sort of adhesive-like overspray on one of the painted/clear coat panels. I tried Scratch Doctor to remove, but it did nothing. Then a strong water-based household cleaner, like Fantastic and with LOTS of rubbing it takes off some of the material. I need a strong solvent that will not damage the clear coat. Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Mineral Spirits won't harm clear coat and will remove just about anything.

If that doesn't work, go get a clay bar solution Meguiars sells one. Just be sure not to use a clay bar on a hot surface. It needs to be cool, so if you live in Texas, you may have wait until October. Follow the instructions and make sure to use the lubricant with it.

If what you are noticing are small rough particles on the surface when you rub your hand over it, it is probably tree sap. It feels similar to overspray.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G1016

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
+1 on the clay bar. Try that first. Amazing what it will take off and no damage. Also, I keep a bottle 3M Perfect-It II. It is an extremely fine compound for clear coat and you get it at auto paint supply stores.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
My first choice for adhesive type of residue is WD40. Like Fred, I've used Mineral Spirits with no trouble, but WD40 is the best, safest first choice.

Clay bar is great - but not for something that is like an adhesive. It works great on things that dry on the surface - such as dried overspray.

BTW, I just read your post a second time and I'm not sure I understand if it's dry or not. If dry then I agree with clay bar.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mineral Spirits won't harm clear coat and will remove just about anything.

If that doesn't work, go get a clay bar solution Meguiars sells one. Just be sure not to use a clay bar on a hot surface. It needs to be cool, so if you live in Texas, you may have wait until October. Follow the instructions and make sure to use the lubricant with it.

If what you are noticing are small rough particles on the surface when you rub your hand over it, it is probably tree sap. It feels similar to overspray.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G1016
Mineral Spirits worked, but still took a lot of elbow grease. I forgot about the clay bar, I have a Griot's clay bar and I will try that too. Thanks!

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
My first choice for adhesive type of residue is WD40. Like Fred, I've used Mineral Spirits with no trouble, but WD40 is the best, safest first choice.
Mineral Spirits is the main ingredients in WD40 and is why it is good as a cleaner. Personally, I think pure Mineral spirits is safer to use as a cleaner, since WD40 also contains other things like propellants and mineral oils that may not be good for paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts