GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok all you gurus... my current netbook is showing signs of giving up the ghost... would like to try a tablet to take on trips and on the bike. Needs to include ability to web surf (wi-fi only), store video, USB, Video output (need to do powerpoint or related program for work) skype (or related program) and a card reader/expanded memory. Would like to shoot for a $300-350 price range (don't mind doing an ebay new or used deal). Looking at an Archos 101, Galaxy or ??? What do you use and what do you like best/hate most about it?

TIA...:thumbup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a Ipad and it does most my needs on the road .Im a geek for work so I normally have a laptop also but hte ipad is internet and movies if needed , My wife has the Ipad 2 and the videos and pictures are nice but its a little big for camera use
Also outside your price range a little but you can get Ipad 1s for not much more new

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You'll most certainly have to go used. Tablets with the features that you stated are all either Windows or Android. The good tablets with those features are all priced at or above that of the iPad, i.e., $500 and up.

There are a whole slew of cheap Android tablets out there in your price range, but you generally give up build quality, they use old versions of Android, have resistive rather than capacitive screens and are much slower. In other words, they are good for keeping on the coffee table for web browsing but that's about it. From the Amazon.com reviews from buyers, they tend to fail in a matter of months and tech support is nonexistent.

Things change when you buy a tablet made by a known/named company. Samsung, Motorola and Acer all have pretty decent reps for their Android Tablets. The HP Slate is pretty well reviewed (runs Windows 7 but is only available from their corporate sales division).

That said, one I've been looking at is the Vizio VTab 1008. It's an 8" tablet that meets your stated requirements if you can live with HDMI out. List on it is $349, my local CostCo has it for $264. It comes with Android 2.3 OS, WiFi, bluetooth, USB ports and the microSD slot handles up to a 32GB card. And yes, it supports video calling. And unlike many non-3G tablets, it has a GPS receiver built-in. Handy for trips.

What makes the Vizio stand out is that it also contains an IR remote. You can use it as a supersmart unified remote for your home theater stuff.

The only downside I've seen so far is that some folks have complained that it is slower than the 7" Samsung tablet.

The link above takes you to Amazon.com where you can buy it for $290 with free Prime shipping.

Display: 8-inch LED-backlit LCD with multi-touch capabilities plus ambient light sensor and accelerometer (1024 x 768 pixels, native HD 720p)
Camera: Front-facing VGA camera (30 fps)
Audio: 3 speakers; SRS TruMedia enhancement
Wireless connectivity: Wireless-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth
Platform: V.I.A. Plus interface on Android 2.3 operating system
Pre-loaded apps: Android Marketplace, Maps, YouTube, Gmail, IM
Adobe Flash support: Yes
Processor: 1 GHz
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
Internal storage: 4 GB (2 GB user accessible)
External storage: microSD memory cards up to 32 GB
Ports: 1 HDMI (v1.4); 1 micro USB; 1 headphone jack
Battery life: Up to 10 hours
Dimensions: 6.6 x 8.1 x 0.48 inches (WxHxD)
Weight: 1.2 pounds

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I have the archos 101 and the motorola xoom and have also used my sons ipad. The xoom is the best of the bunch - I bought the archos first and thought it was pretty cool until I got the xoom. I would save up and hold out for a faster unit if you want to use it more than occasionally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
re: Tablet?

My wife's laptop started dying, so we started the search for a replacement.

As a previous, unhappy Iphone 3G customer, I only gave a brief look at the Ipad. Since we both now have Android phones, we started with Android Tablets.

She ended up choosing the Asus, 10 inch tablet. If you are doing much text/word processing, the you should look seriously at something that allows an external keyboard, as we did. We purchased locally ay HHGregg since there was a 2 week no questions asked test drive period if we wanted to return. We paid 349, but there are probably better deals if you don't need the test drive. Her laptop has been turned off 2 months...no looking back..she loves it.

It saved us about 100-150 versus the equivalent Ipad with equivalent features/functions. We use only wifi so no additional service needed. We even loaded the wireless printer driver, so she can print to our wireless printer just like the Android phones.

I don't miss the itunes store "login BS" nor the closed apps. I've never paid for an app.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
IPad II. I bought one about a year ago, and it is great!!!! I actually dropped it on a ride to British Columbia a few months ago, no problems. Price is about $500.00, but well worth it!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts