GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired an 07 and with it came a Zumo 600 and a pair of Chatter Box GMRS X1's.

I have a Zumo 220 and a pair of Cardo Scala Rider headsets from a prior motorcycle.

The Zumo that came with the bike is bigger than the one I had so I'm guessing it makes sense to keep it, and it's already mounted to the bike.

The next question is.... I assume the Chatter Box devices are better than the Cardo setup.

What, if anything, are the Zumo 220 and Scala riders worth?

What, if anything , are the ChatterBoxes worth?

I'm thinking of replacing my helmet with a Shoei GT Air II. Is the Sena communicator setup designed for that helmet an improvement over the Chatter Boxes?

Opinions and ideas please......

·
Registered
272 Posts
JMO: I have had and have used the UClear, Scala and Sena Bluetooth communicator devices:
UClear: Mike and Speakers were one unit and that seemed a nice feature. It (for us) was not a very good system. They just did not perform very reliably and clearly. A friend who we gave them to really likes them.
Scala: Clear and reliable but the model we had (some 8 years ago) required we activate the mike by making a whistle or blowing noise to "wake up" the system. Batteries were good for about 7-8 hours of use.
Sena: Clear and reliable and we still have them. Batteries are good for about 7-8 hours of use.
We never used any of them for music or phone use, but we did give them a test to ensure those functions worked. All we wanted was a driver to passenger communication system.
My wife has some hearing loss and wears hearing aids. The UClear devices for some reason did not work well with her hearing aids. That was not a major problem because she usually removes the hearing aids when she wears the helmet. Some hearing aid wearers get around that "problem" by wearing those "soup bowl" helmets that do not cover the ears.
Currently we are using the corded communicators built-in to our HJC modular helmets. Frankly I still prefer the Sena communicators but having paid for our customized/color matched helmets.....!
The only person that I personally know who had a Chatter Box system replaced it with Sena.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chatterbox was almost like a cb/two way radio. Only one person could talk at a time. I also had problems with the uclear setup. The scala was better but, still had issues. I have been using Sena for several years with very good results. I personally do not want cords connected to my helmet. No need with the bluetooth tech.
Probably won't be able to give the Chatterbox away and get very little for the Scala depending on the model.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys.... thanks for the input.

Was hoping to be able to recoup enough funds to pay for at least one Sena setup :)

Maybe Santa will be nice to me......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts