GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do about the four extra holes that are now in my trunk lid. I'm going to put a Kury or big bike rack eventually. Do I use plugs or what? TIA

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Slim,

Expensive: You can take it to a body shop, have them fill the holes and then repaint the trunk lid..

Expensive to mildly expensive: You can purchase a new trunk lid from Hal or another dealer, or you can look for a good used one in your color on Ebay.

Least Expensive: You can go to a Home Depot or your favorite hardware store and find either some black rubber plugs or chrome plugs, depending on your taste.

I have the same problem. I have a Hondaline rack on my machine. I really want the spoiler, but because of the problems as you mention, I will live with the rack and without the spoiler on this bike. See I was looking for a reason to upgrade. Maybe I have hit on something here....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
116 Posts
Trunk Holes

Slim, depending on the color of the your bike the rubber plugs may not be too obvious. You also might consider painting the chrome plugs to match. Other than these, the used lid route Bulldog mentioned would the way to go. Piper

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did read on the old board that you could put some chrome spacers on, and I thought they were made from toilet tubing, and could use your Honda rack with the spoiler.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Chrome carriage bolts. The type with a smooth head. Painted to match the bike?? A rubber washer between the nut and the inside of the trunk lid to waterproof the hole.

I wouldn't use the chrome snap caps due to water and the electronics under the lid and in the trunk.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Seattle Slim - Check the spacing of the feet of the Big Bike
rack. I THINK that was the rack another rider used to replace
the Hondaline rack when he too put on the spoiler. The holes
for the Honda rack did not line up, but were close enough
to the ones required by the Big Bike that the holes were
covered with the Pyrmid washers he used to put the new
rack on with. If it was not the Big Bike rack, it was another
rack made of the round tubing. Anyway, when he was done,
there was no extra holes showing on the outside.

And, as someone said, extentions from chrome tubing
about 3/4 inch long will get the Hondaline rack up high enough
to clear the spoiler.

Don't forget the 1/4" fuel line to slip inside the rubber gasket
around the trunk lid to prevent the chafing of the lid against
the box, and losing the paint. Needed with the extra weight.

Ride like there is no tomorrow. On day you will be right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember the post about using chrome water tubing for leg

I saw the picture on the old board. Can whoever posted it before re-post it again? Because when I lay the Hondaline rack onto the bike, the rear legs sit on the spoiler. Do the rear legs mount onto the spoiler? Meaning drilling mounting holes in the spoiler? I get the part where you use extensions for the front legs. I don't understand the rear legs because the old rear holes sit right under the spoiler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts