GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3-5 bikes leaving Louisiana in early June heading for Grand Junction, Colorado. What are some things that are a MUST SEE OR DO? We will be coming up through Branson, Missouri over into Kansas via I-70 into Denver and then Veil and onto Grand Junction to my sister's house. We will do the COG TRAIN out of Silverton I think. Going through Kansas to try and get out of Texas heat. Most will be pulling trailers. Sister says we should see Mt Rushmore while we are so close but it would be 8-10 hours additional travel time. We have about 12-15 days to see somethings. SO does not want to do Pikes Peak.... Any recommendations?We will enter via Denver and then circle back around after going to GJ.
TIA,
Eddie

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
SO does not want to do Pikes Peak.... Any recommendations?
If she dosen't want to do Ol Zebs mountain, she probably won't want to do the highest paved road in America, Mt. Evans, 103 out of Idaho Springs or you can get to it thru Evergreen. It is an awesome ride with views that go on forever but the ride up is not for the faint of heart.

One of my personal favorites is Independence Pass, 82 out of Twin Lakes or Aspen.

If you do take the train out of Durango I'd recommend the bus trip back, otherwise it's a long day going back over the same country. JMHO

While you're down that way be sure to ride the million dollar highway 550.

Drive thru Telluride for the view.

There are sooooo many rides and roads that you will have a hard time getting to all of them.

If you want a good list see Wingnutzz sig line as he has compiled alot of very good rides.

Good luck and enjoy your time !

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Dave T aka Wingnutzz, has links to great rides in Colorado and Utah. Use Montrose as your base and you can ride Western Colorado and Utah.

Dave's Rides

and all of the rides he put together for Rockies Gold

Rockies Gold 2008

Have a great time in our Beautiful state this summer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Any recommendations?We will enter via Denver and then circle back around after going to GJ.
TIA,
Eddie
Trail Ridge Road is a short detour north of Denver. Mind boggling. It made a list I saw of the 10 most scenic roads in the world. It's a reasonably wide mountain road, and people on it go pretty slow. Avoid weekends.

The economy may change this, but in the past, the Durango train sold out frequently. If you want to do it, get reservations. I second the recommendation about taking the bus one way, it's too much slow train for one day for most people.

If people liked Trail Ridge, they'll also like Colorado National Monument outside Grand Junction.

My favorite "hidden treasure" in Colorado is Highway 149 from South Fork to approximately Gunnison. Wide variety of scenery, wonderful sweepers, much less traffic than the usual "must dos". In a similar vein I prefer Lizard Head Pass (145) to Durango instead of 550 (it's one road West of 550), but I suppose 550 is like Vegas, everyone's gotta do it once. Parts are spectacular, but for me it's too much traffic, tight turns, and straights. I can pretty much guarantee the SO would prefer Lizard Head, though.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yep, check out the rides in my signature block. The Rockies-Gold rides out of Montrose are some of the best, but the 10-day rides in my web site may serve you well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts