GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Boys and Girls; :D :D
This October is the 30th anniversary for me and the wife being MARRIED. I must admit that I have gotten off easy :wink: on past anniversaries. This time she says :evil: "NO WAY" :evil: . OK so :( what do you want to do or where do you want to go :? . "NORTHEAST" from south Louisiana on the Wing. We decide on the Blueridge Parkway. 8) I need some input from some of you who are very familiar with that area. I have been to Georgia, Tennessee, N. & S. Carolina, Virginia and W. Virginia, Kentucky, but cant every remember being on that road. I did a google search and it seems to start at Cherokee N.C. But where does it end.
It is 469 mi. long. Our plans are... Trailer the bike to Gatlinburg, Tenn. find a place to park truck and trailer. Ride The Dragon, and then hop over to Cherokee. Head north from there. What is the speed limit? How long should I allow to drive all the way to the north end and still take time to smell the roses along the way? What are some good places of interest. Any recommendations on hotels. I will have about 4 or 5 days for round trip to north and back to the starting point. We can loaf and make 400 miles in a day. So ....... ( :) ) I'm all ears
Waiting
Allan

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Paupton,

My wife and I rode the BRP two years ago from the North to the South. We actually started on the Skyline Drive, which goes into the BRP.

The posted speed limit for the most part is 45 MPH. It is a beautiful ride. If I remember correctly the total distance was right a 600 miles. We took three days to cover it.

We did not get in any hurry and pulled off at night for a motel wherever we were at the time. Distances between pull offs can vary, making us stop early so we would not be on it after dark.

We were on a 1200 and had no worries about fuel. We would just stop when we came across a place. I know some Harleys had problems cause they did not stop soon enough when one of the gas stops came up.

It is a ride that I am sure you will enjoy. One good thing is that no commercial traffic is allowed.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speed limit is 45 mph for whole length, starting in Cherokee, NC and ending in Waynesboro, VA.

If you continue on to Skyline Drive (which is a continuation of BRP), it ends at Front Royal, VA.

It is a very relaxing ride. If you include Skyline Drive (which is at the Nortern End, and shouldn't be missed) my map shows 567 mi.

I highly recommend this ride to anyone who has the time. It is a beautiful and relaxing ride, just watch out for the deer. There are LOTS of turnoutts to view the scenery, take pictures and just enjoy the sights,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Paupton
The BRP is a trip you'll never forget, and if you plan it correctly, you can make the most of your available time. I suggest you go here
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/forms/order.asp
and order the info packet, (first one at the top). It comes with the Blue Ridge Parkway Directory, which gives you more info than you can digest. It is broke down by milepost and lists such things as gas availability, lodging, points of interest both on the parkway and close by, the types of flora and fauna, (plants and animals to us hicks) that you will encounter at different locations and elevations (by seasons), waterfalls, overlooks, nature trails, picnic sites, ranger stations with medical help etc. The packet is free for the asking and will include many brochures from local sites. By the way, if you get as far as Virginia, Luray Caverns is a must see. It's a short trip from Skyline Drive to Luray, Va. that you are sure to enjoy, but allow at least a half day to tour the caverns.
Chuckwagon

·
Registered
45 Posts
BRP Trip

My opinion, the BRP is a must trip. A friend and I did the BRP from Waynesboro Va to Roanoke last October. It took us a good part of the day. Trip can be described with one word " fantastic". We hope you can make the trip. We also hope you have good weather, because the fog in the higher elevations can be blinding. If it were not for the yellow line in the middle of the BRP, we would still be up there!

Goodluck,SadLsore. :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alan,

Congratulations on the 30th anniversary. My wife and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary this year also.

I live 5 miles from the entrance to the Skyline drive, I am not sure I can add anything to what the other guys have written. I would caution you to watch your speed if you decide to ride the Skyline Drive. The park rangers on the Drive enforce the speed limit with a vengance, especially if you are driving a motorcycle. I don't ride the Parkway that much, but from what little I've ridden the Parkway the speed limit seems to be not as strictly enforced.

Here are some suggestions on sights to see that are close to the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway which I've listed in no particular order.

1. Natural Bridge - 20 miles South of Lexington and West on 130 off the BRP.
2. Crab Tree Falls - From the BRP go East on SR56. Not the biggest or most famous falls but well worth the trip.
3. Va. Metal Crafters- 5 miles West from the BRP @ Afton. If you like authentic brass candle sticks, trivits, and other brass items you can see them being manufactured and purchase them at the company store. If you make it to Afton take 250 East to 151, 151 is a hoot to ride. While your are in this area ride on down to Schuyler, this is the original home of the Walton's.
4. Civil War Sites- If you are a Civil War buff, you should be able to go on sensory overload here.

Something else to keep in mind, October here can be cold and wet. Also, the roads on the Drive and BRP can be treacherous for motorcycles with wet leaves on the pavement. If, you are planning on visiting during the autumn peak times, the Drive and BRP tend to be very crowded with tourist looking at the autumn scenery (especialy on the weekends).

If you have any questions about other tourist sites in my area I'll be glad to help.

Regards
Ben

·
Registered
45 Posts
BRP Trip

My opinion, the BRP is a must trip. A friend and I did the BRP from Waynesboro Va to Roanoke last October. It took us a good part of the day. Trip can be described with one word " fantastic". We hope you can make the trip. We also hope you have good weather, because the fog in the higher elevations can be blinding. If it were not for the yellow line in the middle of the BRP, we would still be up there!

Goodluck,SadLsore. :shock:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BRP advice

Thanks for the response guys. I did forget to ask about the weather. We should be there 1st week of October. I hope to beat the bad weather. If that is usually not the case please advise. We could go earlier I suppose. When is the weather the best for that trip?
I will get the info packet.
Allan

·
Registered
294 Posts
Allen,
I traveled the BRP last October 12th-16th. The weather was just fine, a little rain, but not bad. The only problem was some really hairy fog up high. Just keep your eyes on that yellow line as stated earlier. Don't let a little rain stop you. Enjoy!
Pat

·
Registered
364 Posts
HEY PAUPTON
The parkway is a great ride, I have a map of the parkway from the Nat. park service I'll mail you if you will send me an address.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have only done about 125 miles of the parkway, but have promised ourselves to go back and do all of it and Skyline. A MUST do!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Blowing Rock, NC is a good place to spend the night. A small tourist town with stores, restaurants and motels at reasonable rates. Easy on and off from the parkway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great Ride! You'll love it.
Early in Oct is the peak time for color change, so make reservations now!
Seriously, DON'T plan on just finding a place to stay, particularly along the north end.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You will enjoy it very much. I rode it last year over the 4th of July. I'm going again this year. Go to http\\blueridgeparkway.org for official info on the parkway. This site has detailed info on sites and where to stay on your trip and virtually anything you want to know about the Blueridge. Allow at least 2 days for the ride from Cherokee to Waynseboro. I had a great time. Laid-back type of riding, but beware of dear and such. The pavement is very good and the scenery is awsome. This is one ride all must take, no matter what time of the year you choose to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since this is my favorite ride I forgot how many times we rode it. Take a day to explore between Asheville and Cherokee, try a side trip to Bryson City, Highlands, or Brevard. At Dillsboro or Bryson City take a scenic trip on the train. The ride between the BRP and Brevard, NC is one of the best in N.C. Stop at Looking Glass Falls or continue down to Caesers Head. I generally spend the night around Asheville, good choices of motels and restuarants. Yes, the speed limit is 45 mph but because of curves and scenic stops add 2-3 hrs. Going North of Asheville the ride up Mt Mitchell to top is nice. In Oct it may be cold at the top. In the summer it's generally 15 degrees cooler then the bottom. It has a restuarant at the park and if you can get a window seat the views are awesome. Boone, NC would be another great place to stop. Good antique stores.motels and restuarants. From Boone to the end of the BRP is a good 200 miles of fun twisties. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME. Be advised that most of the BRP and Skyline dr is thru State and National Parks. Deer and other wildlife is abundant and can come from no where. Also, in Oct the leaf watchers are out you may want to allow time for all the 4 wheelers and RV's.
Randy F
Concord, NC
'02 Silver

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like Randy, it's our favorite ride, and lost track years ago of how many times we have rode it. The only thing I can add to the stuff already posted is to take your TIME and "smell the roses", it's a great ride but isn't any fun if you are trying to hurry because you are behind schedule. We find it best to only figure on covering 150 miles or so per day, so you can stop and take in the views at the pull overs. Yes I've done as mush as 300 in a day but I don't think your wife wants to just ride all day stopping only for gas and food. So once again 'slow the pace down' if you want to enjoy the BBR. It's the BEST RIDING in the eastern states.

·
Registered
882 Posts
How about the traffic?

Everyone at home here in MN wants to know why I want to go ride in all that traffic. I've been to the BRP 4 times since '95. Always a week or two after the 4th of July. Maybe heavy traffic in Smokey Mt. Nat Park, but the BRP has never been a problem at that time. First time I stayed at the motorcycle only campground at Curso. Hardly anyone there. I asked the owner how he makes it. His answer, "I have so many campers on a holiday week or weekend they have to share tent stakes. Then it drops off to almost nothing and builds to the next holiday. Thats why I picked that time to go. I don't get to see the leaf colors but we have plenty of that here. Just want to ride a great road. As a matter of fact, last summer we almost had it to ourselves. We could stand in the middle of the road to take pictures and not have to worry about getting run over.

·
Registered
364 Posts
HEY HAWK we almost look like twins.......... :D :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts