GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice from the knowledgeable folks on the board. I recently purchased a Show Chrome Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TireGard). It just arrived, and it look to be of pretty high quality. The system consists of a wireless receiver, and stem caps which are inserted onto the valve stems. While they look to be well constructed, they are obviously somewhat heavier than standard stem covers. I started thinking about the design of the 90 degree valves on our wheels, and was wondering:

1) would the additional weight potentially cause stress and subsequent damage to the stems? The instructions that came with the device indicate only that for wheels with 90 degree stems, you should ensure that there is adequate clearance with the sensors mounted.

2) because of the additional weight associated with the sensors, should I install them only when I put on new tires so they can be on when balancing is done, or is the small extra weight (10 grams per sensor) not meaningful?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm an interested lurker here, just got my Tiregard TPMS in the mail today.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
keep us posted, but i would think you would want to balance them with it on. Also consider putting in the beads also, to keep them balanced till the end of the tire life.

S

·
0 Posts
TP you are correct on all your assumptions .

1 Yes it will , I suggest changing your tire valves to the solid 90 degree bolt in style , or the straight style .

2 . 10 grams makes a difference esp hanging off a tire valve , make sure they are on when balancing . Test ride your bike with them on if you want to use them right away and see if you are picking up any vibration .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Weight

Use Dyna Beads for balance...then you won't need anything on the wheels and the tire monitor will balance itself into it.

S

·
0 Posts
Use Dyna Beads for balance...then you won't need anything on the wheels and the tire monitor will balance itself into it.
Though I personally use balancing beads myself I would be hesitant to use them in this application .
Since this style of monitor keeps the schrader valve depressed at all times there is a strong possibility that the beads could obstruct the sensor .

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
:agree:Mine has been on for a couple of thousand miles and I didn't rebalance the tires. I already had 90deg solid Patchboy chrome stems on the tires. Haven't notices any out of balance in the tires.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Though I personally use balancing beads myself I would be hesitant to use them in this application .
Since this style of monitor keeps the schrader valve depressed at all times there is a strong possibility that the beads could obstruct the sensor .
Sorry but I have to disagree. No air is escaping thru the valve. I have run this system with the beads for quite awhile now with no problems at all. I have never heard of anyone else having a problem with this setup either. Dont worry, hook it up and run with it. Your gonna love the peace of mind this system brings.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but I have to disagree. No air is escaping thru the valve. I have run this system with the beads for quite awhile now with no problems at all. I have never heard of anyone else having a problem with this setup either. Dont worry, hook it up and run with it. Your gonna love the peace of mind this system brings.
Thanks, everyone for the advice!

S

·
0 Posts
Kurt perhaps you can enlighten us as exactly how the screw on sensor can sense anything if the schrader valve is not being depressed ? :shrug:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I spoke to the folks at Doran a couple of days ago and they indicated that it was perfectly acceptable to use their sensors externally with the beads without issues.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Kurt perhaps you can enlighten us as exactly how the screw on sensor can sense anything if the schrader valve is not being depressed ? :shrug:
The schrader is open but there is no steady flow of air escaping thru it to clog it only constant pressure. Call Dyna bead or the monitor mfg. both will tell you this is not a issue.
P.S. I hope you are now enlightened.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I played around with a couple of different ways to mount the key fob where I could see it and it didn't look too "added on". I think I like this one best.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Set it and forget it

Next to my Po Peal Pocket fisherman, this was easy to install and has no effect on the tire balance from what I can tell. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I made my mount out of a piece of tin for mounting the inspection sticker. Cut it a little larger width than the fob and bent it at a little less than a 45deg angle. it hangs down from the top of the dash by the fuel guage for very easy visability. It is attached with 2 sided tape to the top of the dash and the metal is covered by my dash mat. I also drilled a hole thru it on the side to attach the safety chain. the unit is mounted using velcro. Fuzzy side on the mount to match the dash mat. Looks great and very easy to see.
I made one for another buddy the same way except made it to mount under the dash because he doesnt have a dash mat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No balance problem with mine

I've had mine now for about 3 weeks and love it. I had to adust to the pressures and temp rising though. Over all, I think it's a good system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TireGard TPMS

I had a TireGuard and it failed to update the display after a couple weeks, I sent it back to Big Bike Parts and they are sending me another. I do not know why it failed.

I mounted mine to a RAMmount flat round mount and used Velcro. It was right up front and easy to remove incase of rain.

It worked great for a couple weeks, then nada.:?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a TireGuard and it failed to update the display after a couple weeks, I sent it back to Big Bike Parts and they are sending me another. I do not know why it failed.

I mounted mine to a RAMmount flat round mount and used Velcro. It was right up front and easy to remove incase of rain.

It worked great for a couple weeks, then nada.:?
Might be the batteries. Or...I had this proble on two different units before I realized the knucklehead that owed the bike before I did had put some sort of balancing oil goop snot in the tires that gummed up the sensors. New tires, new tiregard, and dynabads with no problems now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tiregard Why ME???

I am on the 4th Tiregard. The first 3 the rear tire pressure sensor failed. This last one the front pressure sensor failed. They keep sending me new one, each fails within 500 to 1000 miles.
Why me???
Wayne

1 - 20 of 27 Posts