GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a pickle. My ME880 rear is to the wear bars. I've pulled that wheel and it is in the trunk of the cage. A D250 is in its place right now. I ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP on Sunday with extra paid for UPS 2 day air shipping. Good old UPS held it for a day in Maryland, and now it is due for Thursday delivery (some 2 day air, UPS). I plan to leave with my wife for Wingstock a little after noon on Friday, so:

Should I leave the (yech!) D250 on for the trip, or
Mount up the new BMT and use it.

Keep in mind that I have never ridden on a CT, much less 2-up on a CT.

If the CT is the way to go, what pressure would be recommended for two-up (healthy Americans) on this tire?

I will go ahead with plans for swapping the Michelin onto the rim the ME880 has been on Thursday evening (local shop sez they will do it if I sign a release). It is supposed to be raining Thursday, so I doubt that even after mounting on the 'wing I will have much time to try it, although there is a 20 mile ride in to work the next morning.

What say the assembled brain trust? Is there enough difference that I should wait until next week, or is it so similar that I can get used to it on the way to Georgia (~160 miles)?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
My advice would be to get the Michelin Alpin on there! If you should run into rain you will be glad you did. I am not positive but I think they are running 30-32psi in them.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Have a safe and enjoyable trip!:thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ride the Michelin. When we - healthy Americans - got the 1st ct we left on a trip almost immediately. You will get accustomed pretty quick. She will love it at once.JMHO

Ship
Darksider #144 (one gross)

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I'm in a pickle. My ME880 rear is to the wear bars. I've pulled that wheel and it is in the trunk of the cage. A D250 is in its place right now. I ordered a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP on Sunday with extra paid for UPS 2 day air shipping. Good old UPS held it for a day in Maryland, and now it is due for Thursday delivery (some 2 day air, UPS). I plan to leave with my wife for Wingstock a little after noon on Friday, so:

Should I leave the (yech!) D250 on for the trip, or
Mount up the new BMT and use it.

Keep in mind that I have never ridden on a CT, much less 2-up on a CT.

If the CT is the way to go, what pressure would be recommended for two-up (healthy Americans) on this tire?

I will go ahead with plans for swapping the Michelin onto the rim the ME880 has been on Thursday evening (local shop sez they will do it if I sign a release). It is supposed to be raining Thursday, so I doubt that even after mounting on the 'wing I will have much time to try it, although there is a 20 mile ride in to work the next morning.

What say the assembled brain trust? Is there enough difference that I should wait until next week, or is it so similar that I can get used to it on the way to Georgia (~160 miles)?
That is a tough one. Some guys are used to their CT in a few miles, others take several hundred miles. I would go with the new tire but that is easy for me to say because I have already burned through a few of them. Wish I was closer...I'd loan you a spare wheel and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mount your c/t up and go. If it's a RF I would put about 32 lbs in it a have a fun ride. If it's a non RF probably about 44 lbs. Enjoy the new ride.

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
While I can recommend some seat time before you and your bride ride off into the sunset with a BMT on the rear of your cycle, moparnuts440 showed it can be done without any issues. Read his story here:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295050

If you do decide to do it, try to at least get acclamated to the feel of a CT. There are differences and you would hate to find out when your at a very slow roll and drop it and your wife.

Your call, but definitely doable.

Good luck! Need your dsi number now?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Some feel a bigger difference than others. I was all geared up for a big change of handling and feel when I rode my first one. Very anti-climactic for me. Only a subtle difference and was comfortable with it very quickly.

Agree a little "try out" before you embark would help but....shouldn't really be a problem. I Would mount the CT and go.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
pidjones

I have a ME880 mounted on a rear rim with 1000 miles on it in my garage that you are welcome to use for the trip if you would like. I will be home tomorrow night and get get it to you on Thursday if you want to use it. It is my spare. Then you can take your time doing whatever you need with your new CT. Just let me know. PM me if you want to use it. Also, not sure what year bike you ride but this tire is mounted on a stock 2001 rim.

Oscar

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
pidjones, be alert for truck tire ruts in the road. That is the one thing that is alot different to me!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks, Oh Dark and experienced ones. I think if the Michelin actually gets here on Thursday and I can get it mounted, I'll try it. I have ~4 hours to make ~160 miles to Canton, and nothing is blowing up if we don't make it that quick. Along with the offer of the ME880, osduck5 also gave me an alternative shop to try if my first choice can't do the mounting on Thursday. Looking forward to many much safer smiles on a BMT!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
pidjones, be alert for truck tire ruts in the road. That is the one thing that is alot different to me!
:agree: And,,,,,,,,take care not to relax when rolling to a stop until you get the feel, it can rise your pulse rate. Start 32 ish and adjust to the feel you like. Kumho for me needed 34, but was very doable with 32. It would be nice if you had a few hours to get the feel, but like some others, it was a very "meh " transition. for me too.

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about "edge traps"? I have always been alert for them and taken avoidance/adjustment maneuvers (trying to take them at as much of an angle as I can - around here they get carried away removing road marking at times). Just need to know if they are any worse. We will do several practice stops getting out of the industrial park that I work in to become accustom to the slow speed/stop difference.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The tough spots for me are the stops at red lights or stop signs where the pavement has sunk due to heavy loads stopping and pavement along back roads where a portion of the road seems to be falling off the side of the hill and dips to one side. Other than that, the Michelin, for me, is just another MC tire. I run 32 all the time and it works for me.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
What about "edge traps"? I have always been alert for them and taken avoidance/adjustment maneuvers (trying to take them at as much of an angle as I can - around here they get carried away removing road marking at times). Just need to know if they are any worse. We will do several practice stops getting out of the industrial park that I work in to become accustom to the slow speed/stop difference.
I have never heard the term before so I don't know what they are.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think he is talking about different levels of asphalt. I have to say I avoid the transition at all costs. Slow speeds aren't bad, just stay on top of the ride. Cracks in the road can be envigorating too. Going down isn't bad, but going up can be a problem with any tire for a MC>
Ride it like any other tire, it will have some quirks, they all do. Use the same caution you would on any MC, and stay alert until you get the hang of it. Nothing mystical about it, just different at times and that goes away or you get used to it pretty quick, at leaste most do.
I tell folks if you are a "on top of your ride" guy, it won't be a big transition. If you are "along for the ride" you may not like it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You'll be fine with the BMT. The day after I mounted my 1st Kumho Mrs. Trek and I rode to Pigeon Forge and I took an Advanced Riders Course the next day and I know you handle a bike better than I do. Have a great trip and watch out for ruts and low spots at the red lights and you won't have any problem.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Pid just put the Michlen on and ride as you nornaly do. I run mine ae 31psi and have almost 21K on it now and sides still have more tread than the center. I can only get about 10K on any M/T. My front stock D250 was at the wear bars at 3500 running a B/S 709 now. If it rains on your trip you will really like the C/T:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
:agree:

The tire so wants to stick to the pavement you have to be careful on truck rutted roads. You will see when you get on one. :doorag:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Pid,

When I installed the Pirelli, I didn't know what to expect or if I would like it.
After about 10 miles, there were no negatives and many positives for the CT.

My wife immediately commented on the smoother ride. :agree:

Install the Primacy and never look back, you will be smiling with every mile. :thumbup:

Ride Safe and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
highway around here are all dug up every 2 to 3 mile sign rough road I just look and sign and say glad i got a car tire Kumho no problem rides smooth and I dodn't even have to slow down stay the speed limit. Also I bridge with open steel grates with car tire very easy with m/t I would have to slow down and hold onnot no more just ride. So don't worry go out that first day to canton and your wife is gong to love the ride. This weekend had friend looking to buy new seat I have ultimate seat so wife and him get on bike wife ask joe what did you do to the suspensin it ride alot smoother than our 2010 I say car tire my wife loves it.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts