GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what I would gain by replacing my 4 year old Cardo Q3 with a Packtalk Bold or Slim?

Before buying the Goldwing in May, I only used the Q3 to take calls while riding my previous bike. Now, I want to add another unit for my wife's helmet and also maybe for group rides.

If there are advantages, I'll get a 2-pack of either. If not, I can still get a second Q3 from eBay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I compared the Sena30 & the Packtalk Bold. Cycle Gear near me had helmets set up for comparison.
The Bold with the JBL speakers had way better sound than the Sena.
Not sure about the Q3 [never had one] but I think you would gain-

"Mesh Communication" up to 15 people. Once you pair the Packtalks together [very easy to do] they will automatically re-pair the next time you meet up. [by the way-I believe Sena30 can also do this, But dont think Sena & Packtalk will "Mesh" with each other-bluetooth only]

Voice commands.

Better speakers.

10-12 hour run time.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I compared the Sena30 & the Packtalk Bold. Cycle Gear near me had helmets set up for comparison.

The Bold with the JBL speakers had way better sound than the Sena.

Not sure about the Q3 [never had one] but I think you would gain-

"Mesh Communication" up to 15 people. Once you pair the Packtalks together [very easy to do] they will automatically re-pair the next time you meet up. [by the way-I believe Sena30 can also do this, But dont think Sena & Packtalk will "Mesh" with each other-bluetooth only]

Voice commands.

Better speakers.

10-12 hour run time.

I agree with most of your statement but your statement about Bluetooth only between Sena and PackTalk while technically correct disregards the ability to bridge the Sena through the administrator of the mesh group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
You can talk with other BT devices by going into BT mode on the Bold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The big thing to make sure you get is mesh. That’s the big enhancement in the past year for communicators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
190 Posts
def go for the bold if youre wanting to communicate with your wife or others
I didn't think I needed all the bells and whistles associated with the PackTalk Bold and set off in another direction Sena 10S and then Cardo Freecom 4+ to meet my simple needs of passenger communication using the bike as the hub. After countless hours of frustration with both and reading the many positive message on this forum we replaced them both with the Bold.

The PackTalk Bold works flawlessly with the bike! I doubt I'll ever fully utilize all of the units capabilities but the audio is crystal clear rider to passenger and or caller. I only wished I'd gone there first!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I didn't think I needed all the bells and whistles associated with the PackTalk Bold and set off in another direction Sena 10S and then Cardo Freecom 4+ to meet my simple needs of passenger communication using the bike as the hub. After countless hours of frustration with both and reading the many positive message on this forum we replaced them both with the Bold.

The PackTalk Bold works flawlessly with the bike! I doubt I'll ever fully utilize all of the units capabilities but the audio is crystal clear rider to passenger and or caller. I only wished I'd gone there first!
I thought the same way going with the Freecoms. Ill never need that much. The freecoms worked perfectly riding solo, for listening to music, texting, calling, etc...Great sound quality as well. but the group Im riding with now has them and has grown to 6 riders so I just ordered the Bold. I may hit you up on some advice if you dont mind.:wink2:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Absolutely agree. The Bold is the best system my wife and I have ever had. As an aside, I went with the bold simply because the slim would not fit my helmet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought the same way going with the Freecoms. Ill never need that much. The freecoms worked perfectly riding solo, for listening to music, texting, calling, etc...Great sound quality as well. but the group Im riding with now has them and has grown to 6 riders so I just ordered the Bold. I may hit you up on some advice if you dont mind.:wink2:
Not at all but your trials and tribulations with the Freecom 4 has more than likely made you a Cardo subject matter expert. The only settings change on made was VOX intercom on my wife's headset is set to low requiring a little more effort to open her mic. Now we can ride windshield down and mirror wind deflectors open and her mic stays closed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Did you buy the 2-pack and if so, did they both come with JBL speakers? I assume so as they are supposed to be standard on 2019 units. The single Palktalk Bold lists JBL as included, but there is no mention in the description on the 2-pack.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not at all but your trials and tribulations with the Freecom 4 has more than likely made you a Cardo subject matter expert. The only settings change on made was VOX intercom on my wife's headset is set to low requiring a little more effort to open her mic. Now we can ride windshield down and mirror wind deflectors open and her mic stays closed.
haha, thats for sure... I appreciate your help. Im ready to get this albatross off my back once and for all. They arrived today so Im setting them up. where is your A2DP audio priority set? they came set to Intercom as the default.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Did you buy the 2-pack and if so, did they both come with JBL speakers? I assume so as they are supposed to be standard on 2019 units. The single Palktalk Bold lists JBL as included, but there is no mention in the description on the 2-pack.
Yes, the JBL speakers came with the Duo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes I bought the 2 pack and both units were paired and included the JBL speakers. The firmware had to be upgraded from 5.0 to 5.2. That's accomplished on the Cardo Community website after you register the units. I'd suggest going directly to the Cardo website to access the full owners manual. The pocket guide that comes in the box is rather cryptic.

https://www.cardosystems.com/support/packtalk-bold-support/

·
Registered
190 Posts
I left mine in Intercom and I do not presently have VOX voice command. I assume the A2DP setting activates voice command but I haven't tried that yet. Truthfully it works so well for us right now I didn't want to screw with it.

Be advised that I downloaded the Cardo Connect App to my IPhone and used that to change my settings initially. What I found was after doing so my bike would show are helmets as paired but they were not. I had to unpair and re-pair each headset to the bike again and everything worked well. In the future I'm only going to make setting changes through the Cardo Community website only.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the help, everyone. I ordered the Packtalk Slim 2-pack yesterday. Was on the fence between the Bold and the Slim for awhile. Same features, a little less range for the Slim. Hope it fits my Arai Signet-Q which wasn't listed on Cardo's helmet list.

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
If the 'clip' doesn't fit your helmet, it should have a glue pad that attaches to the outside of the helmet. Worked good with my Nolan N-44

1 - 20 of 20 Posts