GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm getting ready take a run into Pittsburgh this morning. Last night I checked the oil and found it to be down to the very bottom of the stick.

I recently got the bike and this is actually the first time I've even checked the oil.

In the meantime, I didn't have any oil so I went to Wally World and bought Shell Rotella (mineral, non-synthetic).

Here's the question, was the oem oil synthetic or not?

What if the guy before me has using synthetic and I put mineral oil in on top of it?

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Park the bike on the center stand, on a level surface, engine hot, wait a half hour before checking. The fat girl is very fussy about her lubricant level. My bet is your oil level is OK.

Lots of oil discussion, Dino or syn will work fine. The only thing that really matters is that you do not use an "energy conserving" or "energy saving" brand (look in the circle on the jug).

These energy conserving brands are too slippery for the clutch to function properly.

OEM is not synthetic.

No problems switching back and forth.

·
Registered
512 Posts
When you checked the oil level was:
1. The bike on the center stand
2. Was the bike parked on level concrete
If your Wing was that low on oil you would see major drips on the floor were you park it(if you park it on concrete).
One scenario possible is the previous owner put on new filter and new oil,,,and checked oil before firing up the bike,,and never re-checked after the NEW filter filled up. This would only drop the oil level ever so slightly,though.
If your bike were using this much oil you would see major blue smoke starting up,,and even deccellerating,accellerating.

take care,
BC

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the come back.

I checked the oil level exactly by the book.

If the guy before me was running synthetic, I'm going to be mixing it with non-synth oil.

Is that going to turn my motor in a big taffy pull?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BR - There's no evidence of a leak and the no indication of problems in the exhaust; no smoke, no wet tail.

They said they checked the oil at the dealership before I took it. I've only ridden a thousand miles, if that.

I'm going to service it with oil and filter and keep an eye on it.

When I service it for this first time (for me) should I switch to full a synthetic?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks BR - There's no evidence of a leak and the no indication of problems in the exhaust; no smoke, no wet tail.

They said they checked the oil at the dealership before I took it. I've only ridden a thousand miles, if that.

When I service it for this first time (for me) should I switch to full a synthetic?
I and many others have been using synthetic since the first oil change without any problems. I find Mobile 1 15w50 is what my bike likes best.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

There are two good answers to that question:
Yes or No.

Folks who choose "yes" will cite examples of the superiority of full synthetic and point out that some auto manufacturers use it from the factory.

Folks who choose "no" will tell you that you are wasting money, that Honda doesn't specify full synthetic, and that if dinosaur oil was good enough for our founding fathers, that's what we should use.

After the dino/syn debate dust settles, we'll start a "brand" debate. That's always fun.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would call the dealership and let him know about the situation, cover your back, if you think they screw up you need to let them know asap take a picture of the dipstick showing little or no oil , add oil if you have to and go on your trip , monitor level regurarely

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Park the bike on the center stand, on a level surface, engine hot, wait a half hour before checking. The fat girl is very fussy about her lubricant level. My bet is your oil level is OK.

Lots of oil discussion, Dino or syn will work fine. The only thing that really matters is that you do not use an "energy conserving" or "energy saving" brand (look in the circle on the jug).

These energy conserving brands are too slippery for the clutch to function properly.

OEM is not synthetic.

No problems switching back and forth.
:agree: What he said. Half hour is a bit extreme, but will not hurt, especially if you didn't get to operating temp. Be sure to put the dipstick in so it can thread, perhaps grab a thread just to be sure. It will not make that much difference and you know the stick is positioned properly.

Shell Rotella is fine. Yes you can mix synthetic with dino without the crush washer exploding. It will only lessen the synthetic life and most don't use it to the full extent anyway.

:congrats: on the new ride.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
To answer one of your questions. It will be perfectly fine to top it off with non syn. even if syn. is in it now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If it was mine I would just simple drain the oil, change the filter then add 4 quarts of my fav non energy conserving oil. That way I would know it had the correct amount in it, and running on my personal 'happy' oil.

Of course I am rather strange so :shrug:

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you change from dyno to sync be sure to change your crush washer.. That will make a big difference.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
What's the problem? If you've checked the oil properly and more than once, and it's a little low, add a small amount of oil. OEM oil is Honda (Idemitsu) dino oil. However, no issue blending dino with synth on the GL1800 engine in a pinch.

Honda states on their literature that there is NO issue changing from dino to synth (or back)... just drain and fill whatever you choose.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the come back.

I checked the oil level exactly by the book.

If the guy before me was running synthetic, I'm going to be mixing it with non-synth oil.

Is that going to turn my motor in a big taffy pull?

Follow what Hunzee said above. If you followed the book to a 'T' andd only waited for 2-3 minutes after shut-down, you will show a quart low on the stick (if it shows up at all). Wait longer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If it was mine I would just simple drain the oil, change the filter then add 4 quarts of my fav non energy conserving oil. That way I would know it had the correct amount in it, and running on my personal 'happy' oil.

Of course I am rather strange so :shrug:
I agee 100 persent.:agree: You are strange :twisted:

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Top it off with the correct weight and ride. Don't worry about anything else.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Now to muddy the waters was the shell rotella a blue or white jug, blue is semi syn and white is dino. I have run shell rotells syn or partial syn in goldwings for 77K on this one 135K on the last one and 138k on the one before that. My family has a six pack of goldwings and they all buy CHEAP on sale wallyworld shell rotella T Blue jug in the gal and always have at least one on the shelf with a new filter. Oh yea we also have a spare rear tire and wheel mounted cleaned and ready to put on in Mn and Tx just in case. There is always a full set of three pairs of brake pads ready to install YEP we were boy scouts.
Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts