GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post and thanks for the great forum!

I was at the dealer getting my Honda Civic serviced when they got their first 2018 Goldwing and were rolling it onto the floor to display. After they were done checking out themselves, the owner (Dick Lepley, Street Track and Trail, Conneaut Lake, PA) noticed me and and for the next 30+ minutes, we talked about this bike and a lot of old riding experiences.

I rode when I was younger but stopped when I became a father and didn't start again until 5 years ago. Wife and I were looking for a weekend place along the Blue Ridge Parkway and I bought a Kaw 650 Versys LT mainly to ride the Parkway. Three years ago we bought a place in West Virginia and rarely make it to the Parkway. In 3-1/2 seasons, I've only put 3300 miles on this bike. A bigger bike would be interstate friendly and way more comfortable for a passenger.

Need advice: The dealer has a 2018 6 speed Tour left over. Their only 2018 left and its marked down close to $6K. I've checked other dealers and found only a few 2018's and no DCTs.

I'm 57, 195 pounds and healthy except for some knee trouble and this would be my first heavy bike.

I could afford a 2019, even the airbag model, but struggle paying more for a bike than I paid for my nicely-equipped car. DCT would be nice to reduce the distraction of being in the right gear, but would mean getting a 2019 at higher cost or searching farther away for a leftover. Is DCT worth it?

What level of difficulty can I expect going from lighter bikes to the Goldwing?

I plan to do a test drive the 6 speeds this week.

·
Registered
193 Posts
First post and thanks for the great forum!

I was at the dealer getting my Honda Civic serviced when they got their first 2018 Goldwing and were rolling it onto the floor to display. After they were done checking out themselves, the owner (Dick Lepley, Street Track and Trail, Conneaut Lake, PA) noticed me and and for the next 30+ minutes, we talked about this bike and a lot of old riding experiences.

I rode when I was younger but stopped when I became a father and didn't start again until 5 years ago. Wife and I were looking for a weekend place along the Blue Ridge Parkway and I bought a Kaw 650 Versys LT mainly to ride the Parkway. Three years ago we bought a place in West Virginia and rarely make it to the Parkway. In 3-1/2 seasons, I've only put 3300 miles on this bike. A bigger bike would be interstate friendly and way more comfortable for a passenger.

Need advice: The dealer has a 2018 6 speed Tour left over. Their only 2018 left and its marked down close to $6K. I've checked other dealers and found only a few 2018's and no DCTs.

I'm 57, 195 pounds and healthy except for some knee trouble and this would be my first heavy bike.

I could afford a 2019, even the airbag model, but struggle paying more for a bike than I paid for my nicely-equipped car. DCT would be nice to reduce the distraction of being in the right gear, but would mean getting a 2019 at higher cost or searching farther away for a leftover. Is DCT worth it?

This is a 833 pound machine, but to be honest with you the bike feels like my old 1978 525 pound KZ1000.
I've test ridden both bikes, and the 6 speed with that slipper clutch is very nice, I did however go with the DCT, now that is truly a remarkable piece of engineering and in my opinion is worth the extra $1000.
Now in your case with no dct available (because they are in high demand) and great deal on 2018 6 speed I would do the test ride and see how you like it , just so you know that DCT isn't for everyone.
Personally I had the I don't want a DCT attitude until I tried it.
Good Luck!

PBR

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have no regrets with my 2018 DCT and the fact that you can't find any lets you know it is in great demand.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are still DCT’s available but you’d probably have to do a “fly & ride”, like i just did last week to Honda of Russellville. I bought a left over 2018 tour DCT without ever test driving one and I love it.

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Bike feels like a 500 pounder. Easy to ride. Test ride one before you buy. I think it is the best tourer made

·
Registered
540 Posts
Test ride both bikes, first to see if the weight works for you, then which tranny you prefer. GL1800s only feel heavy at very slow speeds, and a good rider Top Gun 2-day course will teach you skills to make you comfortable.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
as stated, the bike doesnt feel its weight. easy to maneuver around parking spots, even without the FWD and REV gears. the bike handles like a much smaller bike, stops on a dime and is VERY smooth out on the road. the front suspension soaks up almost everything, not transferring any harshness to the bars, even on the big stuff. Get the DCT, you wont regret it, especially when sitting in stop and go traffic....unless youre a purist, of course.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Try this, if you didn't already. Get on the bike, pull it off the sidestand as though you're gonna ride it and when you do, understand that this is the heaviest the bike will ever feel. Once you're in motion all that heft goes away and it becomes a pleasure to ride.

Ours is a 2010 so it's 100 lbs heavier than what you're looking at and it's weight has never been a problem. Don't forget it has a reverse so backing up is big fat zero on the difficulty scale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I came off of a BMW R1200RT that only weighed 525 lbs. My 2018 goldwing tour weighs about 300 lbs more, but it feels every bit as light as the RT due to the low center of gravity on this bike. It is sort of like those punching bags that has the weight at the bottom keeping it upright. It only feels heavy if you pick it up. It also seems to feel lighter than the RT did with my wife riding (don't tell her) since the RT was a taller bike and it put her weight higher, but it is a complete pleasure to ride. Mine is the DCT and I do love it. Well worth the extra money. Now I am waiting on my RDL rebuilt seat, which is coming back home next week. So excited and can't wait! The seat on all of the bikes I have owned were not comfortable and this one was no exception.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts