GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my nickname implies, I have a very large head... size 8 hat size. I'm looking to buy a new, high quality, full coverage helmet that fits. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Arnbutt

By the way, I love your 'handle', southern drawl and all. It reminds me of my first Air Force assignment to Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Ms. I grew up in northern Michigan, about 10 miles from Canada. Hence it should be no suprise that at the time I sounded like a canadian. When I moved down south I started talking like a southerner. I was probably the only one around that said "ya'll" and "eh" in the same sentence. :lol:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My best advice to you is to try on a few first. Some are round, some are oblong. Even within the same manufacturer, different models seem to be sized differently. I've had helmets anywhere from XXL to XXXL fit me well. My current half helmet is (mis?)labeled 'Medium' and it fits fine. I'd never take a chance ordering a helmet I haven't tried on first. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I wear a xxl symax.. 7/58" hat (at least when I retired from the Navy, it maybe fatter now). it is comfortable for me, but the others are right.. you need to go down to a shop and try them on, buckle 'em up and walk the the store for a while wearing it and see it any little annoyances come up.. once you know that a model and size fits, it's easier to mail order later... but you end up biting the bullet on the first one.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Size xx? Bwaahahah!

I have a 3X sized helmet...HJC CL10 (methinks...ancient)

I have a heckuva time finding right sized ones. Never really know which brand sticks out above the others and along with that, I'd like to find matching colors for the bike (aka...'Fastest blue' color).

few stores have them that large in stock so Ill probably end up getting the next ones online and use some skull measurements to find the right size.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Helmet for big heads

I also have a large Irish melon head ! Think Ted Kennedy size. The only helmets that will fit me are HJC Model CL-15 Size XXXL. Take a look at www.helmetcity.com

Very limited color selection in XXXL. Mine is basic white !

Mike700 / Oak Park Illinois

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a XXL Shoei X-11. Quietest and most comfortable helmet I have ever owned!!

Expensive, but I got it discounted to almost 1/2 price at the end of the riding season here in PA. I have about a 7 5/8 bucket and the XXL is a hair big, but the XL gave me a headache.

Best bet is go to the dealer with a large supply and try'em on, as mentioned above. If you find one you like and don't like their price, look for the same model on EBay or the internet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
XXL Helmet

I will second the Shoei for XXL. Shoei is the only helmet that felt right on my large head, i have the full face, very nice helmet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wear a size 8+ hat (x-long oval) & recently went through the same thing. I ended up with the Shoei XXXL RF1000. With some minor adjustments, I was able to make it fit. Headset install is something else. I ended up using my old EdSets headset, took the speakers out of their pouches and directly glued them to the same plastic piece the cheek pad snap onto. Then I bought a couple of replacement foam covers for small stereo headsets and slipped them over the speakers. Works well.

I would have preferred the Aria Profile, but couldn't find one in XXXL & the XXL is too small, although they advertise it on their website. They only have two North America distributors and they say they're not available in North America. I couldn't find them anywhere on the net. Anyplace that advertised them stated they were out of stock. E-mailed Aria directly and they said there's not much market for that size & that it's a "Japan decision". In other words, I believe they were telling me not to hold my breath.

You might also check out this website: http://www.genuineaccessories.com/KingHead/kinghead.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts
FYI . . .

I have a 7 5/8 & need a 2XL

at 8 probably a 4XL (maybe a 3XL will work, but very unlikely a 2XL)

you want snug, but not tight.

luck . . .

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dave - a word to the wise, find a good motorcycle accessories store that stocks a large selection of helmets and find the ones that will comfortably fit your head. Head sizes and shapes vary, and a double XX sized helmet in one brand may not even fit you at all (or be totally uncomfortable), whereas another manufacturer might fit and feel just fine. They vary like the wind.

Two likely candidates: the HJC helmet (try their flip helmet too) and one of the Nolan helmets (they also make a nice flip helmet). The other brands, while they look nice and have some great ratings, I couldn't even find one that was wearable without a lot of pain.

Good luck, maybe you will have a wider selection,

DaleC

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wear a 7 5/8 myself, and one of my KBCs fits wonderfully, and the other doesn't. So . . . with that in mind . . . I'll say the advice to try before you buy is right on target :wink:

I bought one KBC after trying it on at the Honda shop and ordered another to use on the ZRX -- same size -- at the Kaw shop. The green helmet doesn't fit. Go figger.

FWIW, my local Kaw dealer will order a helmet for me, but I don't have to take it. If it's not too horribly unusual he'll just put it on his shelf if I don't want it. You might ask around.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You just have to try them on, everybody's different. Had a Shoei that I thought fit ok, then got an HJC, that was awesome. (both Snell certified) Good Luck! :) :) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts