GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im am selling a backrest to someone on this site but he wants it shipped APO and to pay with paypal. I am looking for pros and cons to shipping APO. The gentleman list his location as Turkey and a member since 11/13. What types of problems might this type of transaction present?

thanks

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless he wired my money. If it gets lost or tore up on base before he gets it, you gotta eat it, PayPal will be on his side.

No matter what they post below, I speak from the voice of experience!

(Unless members here know him)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless he wired my money. If it gets lost or tore up on base before he gets it, you gotta eat it, PayPal will be on his side.
I would get the money wired as well. I'd be leary of someone that new to the board, especially outside the country. I have, however, bought and sold many items on this board without issue. One of them was a backrest just like you are selling. Shipping was not cheap either.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks, kind of had those same thoughts but just wanted confirmation.
Not to say the buyer isn't legit, but with only two posts, and the second one is to buy something just raises some flags for me. Then you add that it's being shipped out of the country. It's not like a board member could go over to his house and bust some kneecaps for you. :eek:4:

I'm not saying that this transaction might not be totally legit. If it doesn't feel right, and you can't afford to be taken for it, then I'd say make other arrangements, up to and including requiring cash or a bank wire transfer, or refuse to sell it to this buyer. Then send the item with insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a few prior bad experiences with shipping internationally. In fact, anything I sell on Ebay or Gunbroker, I only ship to the lower 48 states. Don't do it, it's not worth the hassle and Paypal will go straight into your account and snatch your cash without your knowledge. Don't even get m stated on issues with customs and the vey likely possibility they hold your item. You've been warned!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
APO and FPO shipments are trouble for you, if paid via Paypal

There is no tracking outside the country on these, that will satisfy buyer/seller protection for Paypal

Buyer can pay, you can ship, and buyer can say he never got it, and your money will be removed from your account, It is a very common scam.

·
Registered
174 Posts
But on the other hand form what every other post is saying... An APO box is for our Military (and government civilians) working overseas. I would suggest you talk (email, chat) with the person and tell them your concern. Find another way to make it a win - win situation for the two of you.

I spent over three years overseas with my wing and getting some things were very difficult or very expensive.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
if its a military type address see if you could send to a family member in the states
after you get paid. and let them send it over the pond you get paid and confirmation
on delivery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
if its a military type address see if you could send to a family member in the states
after you get paid. and let them send it over the pond you get paid and confirmation
on delivery.

FPO/APO addresses are American addresses regardless of what some companies might say. BUT remember this its only Postal Service until it leaves the states. When I was in Japan in the Navy the post office only guaranteed it to San Francisco, then they considered it delivered to the military Postal Clerks (PC3, PC2, PC1, Etc.) and at the time it only cost to ship it to San Fran. So that’s a concern, at least to me.

Two posts and one of them was the purchase. Problem meh' maybe.

Talk to him in person/ maybe ship it to a family member (I've done this, thanks Summit) and let them ship it to him. That’s my advice.

Just be fair Military members don’t always get the respect for the disadvantages placed on them or the sacrifices they make. Though on this board I think I’m preaching to the choir.

Shag

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just came back from 25 years in Germany (an APO address). All of my purchases were sent to my APO address and paid for with PayPal. In all those years there was only one shipment that went bad and it got squared away with no problem. Folks over there rely on doing it that way or it becomes cost prohibitive. My suggestion? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and do something for someone serving.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just came back from 25 years in Germany (an APO address). All of my purchases were sent to my APO address and paid for with PayPal. In all those years there was only one shipment that went bad and it got squared away with no problem. Folks over there rely on doing it that way or it becomes cost prohibitive. My suggestion? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and do something for someone serving.
Thanks for the good post diamondmarco!

I am currently working in Turkey. While I am not in the Service, I have been working as an Air Force Contractor for over 20 years. Mostly in Turkey with a few years in Afghanistan and IRAQ. Using the APOs (Military Post Office) is the only option unless you want to pay high customs by using international mail or FEDEX. I just upgraded my ride last October. Had a 91 Venture Royale and bought an 03 Wing. New Wings in Turkey cost around $40,000. I paid $17,000 for the 03 which is still several thousand higher then I should have paid if I was back in the States.

I want to thank BASSMANBRAD and DNJ02WING for selling me items posted on this forum. I used Ebay and PAYPAL for all past purchases and have an excellent rating while shipping to an APO.

While I don't have many posts, I actively read posts and communicate to members via PM as I am not one to post comments for the world to see.

Thanks for all the good information on this site. I am sure I will have more activity with comments and questions as I customize my wing.

Dave

PS: Still looking for a cheap Backrest.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Not sure how much we are talking about here but a backrest probably isn't a lot.

I realize scams happen all the time but most scammers aren't trying to score on a goldwing backrest so I'd likely trust the guy unless the money is too much to risk.

Now...if it was something expensive that had easy resale value like jewelry or something like that....then I'd be very cautious....but in this case....I'd be willing to bet he is legit.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Scamming is not the problem. If it gets lost or tore up or ripped, nobody is responsible since it is APO addressed. I have had a couple online businesses, and it has happened to me. That said, If it was me, since he has a couple good feedbacks I would send it.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Thanks for the good post diamondmarco!

I am currently working in Turkey. While I am not in the Service, I have been working as an Air Force Contractor for over 20 years. Mostly in Turkey with a few years in Afghanistan and IRAQ. Using the APOs (Military Post Office) is the only option unless you want to pay high customs by using international mail or FEDEX. I just upgraded my ride last October. Had a 91 Venture Royale and bought an 03 Wing. New Wings in Turkey cost around $40,000. I paid $17,000 for the 03 which is still several thousand higher then I should have paid if I was back in the States.

I want to thank BASSMANBRAD and DNJ02WING for selling me items posted on this forum. I used Ebay and PAYPAL for all past purchases and have an excellent rating while shipping to an APO.

While I don't have many posts, I actively read posts and communicate to members via PM as I am not one to post comments for the world to see.

Thanks for all the good information on this site. I am sure I will have more activity with comments and questions as I customize my wing.

Dave

PS: Still looking for a cheap Backrest.

So I assume from your post the sale went sideways

Don't worry about it. I f I had one I'd sell it to ya:joke:

There are a LOT of americans that will sell to a crip member ( has a US address after all) but would not consider a guaranteed sale out of the country
Then again some are just too lazy to go to the post office

7oEPWtgD6XWnIzg2PGFDnvSa1ErO.jpg

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I find it hard to believe he would go thru all this to rip you off on a backrest?? But that's me, I trust people more than the average guy does.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I find it hard to believe he would go thru all this to rip you off on a backrest?? But that's me, I trust people more than the average guy does.
I agree about the buyer probably being legit. It's not like you are selling him a motorcycle. Don't know about whether APO is reliable or a hassle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts