GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of the Garmin 2730, complete plug and play package, from Cycle Gadgets and would appreciate your comments/advice. The package includes alll the wiring needed to power the unit and hear the various featurews (radio, traffic, MP3 player, and GPS instructions) through the Aux. circuit, as well as all the mounting hardware and screen shade.

Also, I have a choice of installing it switched or not. That is, having its power turn on and off with the motorcycle, or having it turn on and off by its own swtch even if the MC is off. Does the GPS and /or satellite radio draw enough power to cause battery concerns if either or both are on when the engine is off? Etc.???

TIA for your help.
:D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have my 2720 hardwired and s hot, as in I can turn it on without the bike's ignition on...I haven't experienced any problems and I fool around with the GPS while the bikes not running...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have mine switched in case I have a dumb attack and forget to turn it off. I bought the un-switched cable too so I have the option to change my mind. If I want to play with the GPS I just turn the bike to accesories with the key. When you do the install make sure you tywrap the wires in a bundle and put it somewhere to the left. I did not do a good enough job when I did mine and the extra unused connector got sucked into the cooling fan on the radiator and made a heck of a racket. By the time I figured out what the problem was it had chewed up the connector and ripped off the positive pin. I also just updated mine from V7 NT to V8 NT and boy that was a ling process. Just to download from the computer to the GPS took over an hour.

·
Registered
115 Posts
jeff:

i recently did my 2820 that way. i bought everything from Cycle Gadgets including J&M Headset. They are nice people to deal with and very knowledgable.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I mounted my 2730 with a RAM mount and power it with the socket in the left pocket. It plays through radio by its built in transmitter. I keep its XM radio set on channel 46. BTW, I don't use headsets. I can hear from the speakers just fine.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I'm going to go with switched - less chance of leaving it on and running down the battery. If I tried real hard, I bet I could leave it on with the key on ACC and run down the battery.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
GPS

I have left my 2720 on for days at a time and never had a battery problem.You will get tired of having to wait for it to boot up ever time you get gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts