GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I connected my Gerbing wiring directly to my battery with the supplied fused wiring harness. When I connected my gloves to the plug to test the system the 15 amp ( on the Gerbing harness) blew. What am I doing wrong? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
If the leads are connected as specified, it probably was a marginal fuse to begin with. Have you tried another? Does it blow as well?

If it does then I would check with Gerbing as their gloves may be suspect.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only tried the fuse that came with the unit...15 amp. I was afraid to try another fuse with out a little trouble shooting. Do you think the new gloves could be bad? I'll try one glove at a time and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
The gloves are designed to work with a vest or jacket. That is why there is a plug-in on the jacket or vest.

If unsure just give Gerbing a call.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I used my gloves last week, for the first time with no trouble. The gloves are rated to draw only about 2 amps. I also hooked them up to tje battery and the dual controller.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know that. You mean the gloves can't be used alone? I do have the jacket I just bought also, I'll hook up the gloves to it and try that. Just tried the gloves only first because it was easier ( I thought ). You would think the gloves alone couldn't draw that much power.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop the presses!!!!! Just found the problem. I blew the fuse while testing ( I shorted it )... Heat works fine now. It was just a loose nut behind the voltmeter........................!

·
Registered
416 Posts
wingman57 said:
The gloves are designed to work with a vest or jacket. That is why there is a plug-in on the jacket or vest.

If unsure just give Gerbing a call.
Wrong! :roll:

You can run gloves-only by using the T harness that Gerbing supplies.

Make sure you use one of their controllers though, or they'll run at full heat.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out that is correct. I have the supplied Y harness that lets the gloves run without the jacket. I appreciate the replies from everyone here. It helps me trouble shoot the problem. This forum helps me quite a bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just bought the coat and pants and glove liners and dual control yesterday. I tried them out this morning. Those heat up so fast I was surprised. I should be good for the cold weather now. I also got a full face helmet for the cold weather riding also. I think I will be happy with this combo. It is a bit of a pain to set things up but probably worth it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We tried out our Gerbings today....GREAT. I used to ride in the cold and stop to get warm. Now I ride and I'm hot and have to stop and cool off. It's amazing what a few hundred bucks can do.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
ElBando said:
Stop the presses!!!!! Just found the problem. I blew the fuse while testing ( I shorted it )... Heat works fine now. It was just a loose nut behind the voltmeter........................!
Sometimes, it is the loose nut between the seat & handlebars !!!! :p

I am going to get some Gerbings for the misses for Xmas I think. Now,
how do I get her measurements without her knowing ??

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G1nomad, just dig in her closet for sizes. But that might not work for Gerbings. They have to fit just right and she should try them on. Take her to try them on, buy them and surprise her with something else for Christmas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts