GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 GL1800 and found out that the brake lights will not come on when the hand brake is used, only with the foot brake. :shrug: I can hear the double 'click' from the hand lever and it will cancel the cruise control. There are trunk and bag LED's installed - could that be the source? I think if I remember properly the LED's were brightening as well when I got this bike initially. How are the LED's connected to the running lights? I also believe they should be running lights only anyway.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There are two switches in the hand brake switch. One for the cruise, one for the brake.. You might start by adjusting the brake lever.. If that doesn't work, the switch is not that expensive to replace. In fact, you can pull the switch, pull the two larger wires off it, short across them togther, and see if the lights come on. If they do, then replace the switch.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your tips. I will try that tonight. You guys are awesome!

:p

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clean the switches first.
WD-40 soak
Good wipe down
Dilectric Silicon spray
Do all of 'em - including the clutch side.
This is probably a silly question but do you need to disassemble everything for the cleaning or will the cleaners do the job with the switches still installed?

Thank you,

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
This is probably a silly question but do you need to disassemble everything for the cleaning or will the cleaners do the job with the switches still installed?

Thank you,
No question is ever silly!
You do not have to disassemble switches to clean as suggested.
My cruise began inadvertently shutting off a approx 15K. The cleaning was suggested to me as a first try. It worked and I have been cleaning them at the 8K oil change time since.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Had the same problem about 2 weeks ago, the WD40 cleaning was the answer for this one. It's interesting, we can't see our own brake lights so if you don't ride with someone to tell you you are at a loss for knowing. Ours was discovered when I was working on it in the shop, didn't reflect off the wall when I applied the hand brake.
Good Luck on the fix.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still not working

Hi Guys,

I tried the above cleaning and still have no brake lights when the hand brake is used, only with the foot pedal. Checked the switch (manual says small connectors) and there is continuity when the lever is pulled. That rules out the switch. Now what? Any ideas on what to do next? :shrug:

Thank you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Guys,

I tried the above cleaning and still have no brake lights when the hand brake is used, only with the foot pedal. Checked the switch (manual says small connectors) and there is continuity when the lever is pulled. That rules out the switch. Now what? Any ideas on what to do next? :shrug:

Thank you.
Seems to me that if the Lights work the other way, it has to be in the Switch somehow...How long has it been like that..

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,543 Posts
Take your voltmeter and check for battery voltage on the white/green wire at the switch. It's only there with the key on. If it's good then pull the lever and see if you get the same voltage on the other wire at the switch, (green/yellow). If the voltage goes thru the switch then it is getting lost on the way to the relay. From the switch it goes thru C22 to the relay, C22 is one of the 3 connectors under the right fairing pocket.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, I will try that in the next few days. We are expecting several days of rain :x.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts