GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having air buffeting problems with Icom mics and helmets. Have installed Cee Baileys +4hi +2wide windshield. This helped tremendously but there is still some buffeting.

My Questions for advice is under mirror air wings will they help with this? Baker air wing or Dragon wings or Tulsa wings?

Or is there another route I should be looking at? like Laminar lip or add on windshield airfoil?

GL1800 2012 cee bailey windshield only addition so far.

thanks,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Might be your helmets more the W/S? I had a Shoei that gave me fits, I changed to an Arai and the buffeting is better.
So I think helmet styles can make a big difference. The Shoei was great for my son who rode a sport bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We had the same issue, went with Hand wings, air wings and for the fun of it, leg wings. Glad I did all 3. Gives you the ability to direct the air around you, either off of you or onto you. When it's cold, open up that bottom, smaller wing and let the heat from the radiators keep you warmer. When it's really hot, you can open up the hand wings or the larger top wing and get air on you......... I wouldn't live with out mine now.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I have the SENA SMH5 Bluetooth, could not eliminate the wind noise coming from the mic. My solution was Mack's Pillow Soft Earplugs sold at Walgreens, maybe elsewhere, not sure. A soft pliable material, cut one in half, insert ear plug, and problem solved. You can of course, use the entire plug, but that was a bit much for me. Makes riding much more pleasant, wind noise doesn't wear you down.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My Questions for advice is under mirror air wings will they help with this? Baker air wing or Dragon wings or Tulsa wings?
YES!

The Baker under mirror wings will do the best job of stopping the buffeting around your heads, particulary the passenger's head.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Check orville sage in lakeland fl - have 3 pieces instead of 2 at main fairing- made with lexan n stainless . Great product- has complete set up also. Good luck

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We are having air buffeting problems with Icom mics and helmets. Have installed Cee Baileys +4hi +2wide windshield. This helped tremendously but there is still some buffeting.

Or is there another route I should be looking at? like Laminar lip or add on windshield airfoil?

GL1800 2012 cee bailey windshield only addition so far.

thanks,
I think the taller you go with a windshield the more it will help the buffering issue. I went with the Windbender and I like it, I HATE looking through a windshield on a MC, but that's a matter of give and take. I don't like looking thru bug guts, rain, fog and glare at night.

IMO the helmet can be a big part of the buffeting equation, I have an Arai Profile. Find one that fits great, I've tried on dozens before settling.

The mirror wings helped me alot. They are around $60 bucks, worth a shot. Dang near the cheapest thing you can buy for this bike.:tongue:

Now I settled on the National Cycle fairing wind deflectors, driving lights mounted under the mirrors (block the wind like the deflectors), Baker leg wings and a Windbender windshield. I'm happy now. If I did it over again I would run all Baker's, the NC ones broke 3 out of 4 faring tabs on my bike. I haven't heard of any issues with the Bakers and the fairing tabs.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
The hand wings make a huge difference!
I use the Bakers because I can turn them to direct air to me as well as away. I think the Tulsa hand wings look better but I believe that they are stationary.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I went with a Tulsa -2 windshield, and Baker mirror wings. They stopped the buffeting on the passenger.

I'm sure an unintended side affect is that at about 50 mph or so, if you turn the airwings in to allow more air on you, and the passenger is wearing a nice loose summer top, it will flip their top over their heads if they aren't holding it down. ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Our mics are inside modular full face helmets. Never had a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts