GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the story. A friend has a 2008 the 5th gear went out. So he decided to take the motor and tranny out himself and take the motor and tranny to the local honda dealership to fix the tranny. All good right. Well not so fast, when we were reassembling the bike we found a major leak in the cooling system. Long story short it was the head gasket the honda shop has installed. So the bike was return to the shop to fix the leak. Well today they tried to start the bike and a couple issues have come up. First the fuel pump is not working and second the neutral light is not coming on.

The front and top shroud is still off. So we are looking for a connection that was missed. Any ideas??

As I’m thinking about all this, One question is how does the bike know the tranny is in neutral? Where is this sensor?

In the picture I have a this black plug I’m not sure where it goes. Its in the same area as the co sensor wire. IMG_0909.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
To make the fuel pump work, the bank angle sensor needs to be plugged in and hung level. It's probably still attached to the cowl. The black connector in your picture is for the fog lamp switch. As for the neutral light, is the neutral switch plugged in. It's a single wire under that sits under the right engine cover.

Head gaskets on GL1800s are a very serious problem. Do not assume that it is fixed. Be sure to fill the cooling system, and then pressure test the system. Usually I pressure test for several hours at 16-20psi, and then 6-8psi for several hours.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is still at the honda shop and their plan was to start the bike and let it get hot to make sure all leaks have been taken car of before adding more plastic parts.

But you did give me a few things to look for. What does the level block look like?

Thanks

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
The bike is still at the honda shop and their plan was to start the bike and let it get hot to make sure all leaks have been taken car of before adding more plastic parts.

But you did give me a few things to look for. What does the level block look like?

Thanks

I'm recommending that the cooling system be pressure tested for hours. Your cap needs tested too. Chances are that it will fail a pressure test and doing it their way, and if you have a bad cap, confirms ... well, really nothing.

Where do I say anything about a "Level block" ???

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bank angle sensor, sorry I misread. Been looking around to see where it is located. I want to verify the connection.

The shop has been in contact with mother honda and they are following their instructions on testing and the seating the seals. So I’m hoping they know how. Never know tho, this shop is struggling.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Bank angle sensor, sorry I misread. Been looking around to see where it is located. I want to verify the connection.

The shop has been in contact with mother honda and they are following their instructions on testing and the seating the seals. So I’m hoping they know how. Never know tho, this shop is struggling.

The bank angle sensor is mounted to the back of the right headlight assembly.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Ok here is the story. A friend has a 2008 the 5th gear went out. So he decided to take the motor and tranny out himself and take the motor and tranny to the local honda dealership to fix the tranny. All good right. Well not so fast, when we were reassembling the bike we found a major leak in the cooling system. Long story short it was the head gasket the honda shop has installed. So the bike was return to the shop to fix the leak. Well today they tried to start the bike and a couple issues have come up. First the fuel pump is not working and second the neutral light is not coming on.

The front and top shroud is still off. So we are looking for a connection that was missed. Any ideas??

As I’m thinking about all this, One question is how does the bike know the tranny is in neutral? Where is this sensor?

In the picture I have a this black plug I’m not sure where it goes. Its in the same area as the co sensor wire. View attachment 325059

The neutral light is turned on by the gear position switch and it’s plug is in front of the throttle body, on the left side.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We did get the fuel pump working. I will look for this plug next. For the neutral light. It will only crank with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone tell me what microfiche where this neutral switch is pictured? Can find it

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The Neutral Switch is located in the "Cylinder Block" section of the Parts Manual.

The attached shows the location and the Part Number of the Neutral Switch.

Attachments

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
The switch on the side of the block does not turn on the neutral light. It’s called the neutral switch in the parts list because it’s a common neutral light switch on other Honda’s. It’s called the reverse switch in the gl1800 schematics and it is working or you would not be able to start the bike in gear. You need to track down the connector for the gear position switch. It’s mounted inside the transmission cover on the front of the engine and it’s harness exits the cover at the top and runs back to a connector near the throttle body. The gear position switch is on the front cover/transmission cover microfiche’, item #12.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts