GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not out of bounds here but I am looking for some technical support on a GL 1500 project. A buddy has a 97 GL1500 without a CB. Being financially challenged and not wanting to wait for a government bailout he would like to install a regular cb like a cobra or uniden in his fairing pocket. I can wire the cb for power and I have found a push to talk adapter that fits the microphone plug and splits out the PTT and microphone function. I can use the external speaker out to power some speakers but here's what I need: I want to be able to run the sound into the factory intercom system and run the microphone output from the cb to the intercom headset microphone. Anybody done this before? Any ideas? Anyone have a diagram that shows where I could tap into the cb interface to attach to the intercom?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:.

I never run factory CB, you can buy a good radio for 40 bucks, mount it on the side of the fairing, use its own microphone and connect it to a outboard speaker and hear it just fine. Direct wire it, and hook up a good antenna and your in business.

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
way back I thought about this alot , wow what a pita wasn't worth it and I'm a ham radio guy,
just get the gmrs radios now days like the uniden 22 channel and it's so much better then cb, I got a set on e-bay for 75.oo and came with headsets and works with vox very nice of course you have to have your buddies also having gmrs and family radios but it's really a muc better way to go, lots of us are now just using gmrs radio's
here is what I got
http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/midland/midland-gxt-850-vp4.aspx

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about suggesting he get a GMRS or FRS but the problem is I would then have to change my setup to communicate with him. I have the CB, he doesn't. If he goes FRS or GMRS I would have to change my setup. I don't want to spend any more money when I already have 2 way capability - even if it is antiquated technology.

I found a kennedy adapter and have shown him the options that are available. I might suggest a GMRS as an option for the wives to use while on the bike. They could then communicate on a separate system and we (drivers) wouldn't have to "enjoy" their conversation at the same time. We were primarily looking for a low cost cb addition that would enable us to communicate directions, stops, etc.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts