GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 05 Wing with CB installed. Much to my regret there was no owner's manual included with the paperwork and I know nothing about CBs. I do not even know what brand CB is installed (yet).

Do any of you have suggestions about how I can learn how to operate the unit and obtain more info about using CBs? I do understand that you have to push to talk and I have purchased the Edsets mic and speakers to install in my Shoei FF helmet. I want to learn about the channels to use and about using the squelch function. Boy do I feel like a dumb ass that has lived under a rock. :roll: :oops:

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks and ride safely always. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
wvnnva said:
I bought a used 05 Wing with CB installed. Much to my regret there was no owner's manual included with the paperwork and I know nothing about CBs. I do not even know what brand CB is installed (yet).

Do any of you have suggestions about how I can learn how to operate the unit and obtain more info about using CBs? I do understand that you have to push to talk and I have purchased the Edsets mic and speakers to install in my Shoei FF helmet. I want to learn about the channels to use and about using the squelch function. Boy do I feel like a dumb ass that has lived under a rock. :roll: :oops:

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks and ride safely always. :)

Todd
Todd,
Theres really nothing in the manual that would provide more help than what i'm goign to tell you.

NOTE: I don't claim to be the know all see of of CB's.. but nobody else had replied yet so I'm just trying to help him out. If I'm wrong on something, please jump in and give him the correct info.

- To enable the CB on your Wing, press the "CB" button on your audio control panel. and you'll see the CB is added to your display above the panel. When you change channels, adjust the squelch, or the volume, you'll see the adjustments on the display. To turn it off, just press and hold until it goes away.

-The Squelch is used to increase or decrease the sensitivity to inbound transmissions. If you have static in the headset/speakers then you want to increase the number on the squelch until the static goes away (I normally go 1 or 2 more just for good measure)

- The volume for the CB is independent of the Audio system volume, so you can crank the tunes, but set the CB volume lower so you don't get your head blown off when some dude next to you keys the mike and talks.

- The normal Trucker channel is 19, but be aware that they are professional drivers and normally don't like to get into idle chit chat with someone unless they're real bored or just feeling talkative. I chatted with 2 truckers for about 300 miles on a cager road trip years ago... so it does happen, but don't expect it.

- Many motorcycles use channel 1 as it puts it as far away from the 300Watt Linear truckers as possible. You'll know when one of these "Big Talkers" are near you because you'll hear nothing else but them.

- It used to be good ettiquite to request access to the channel by saying "Break 19" or "Breaker 19" etc when someone else is on the channel and then they may reply "go ahead breaker".. if you make contact with the party your looking for, it's also good ettiquite to take your converstaion to another channel to leave 19 open. 19 is sort of like a community bulletin board..

Having a CB on the Wing makes rides more enjoyable when others in the group also have CB's. If the Ride Captain and the Tail Gunner are in communication with each other, it makes for a more organized and safe ride.

This is just my opinion and an attempt to answer your question. I hope it helps.

Matt

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW!!! Matt, thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful explanation. I know about "heard" of some of the things you explained, but that is pretty much it. I have even turned the CB on but really did not know what to do with it. :roll:

I went on a ride Saturday that included a couple of guys I had not met before, and when they pulled up at the meeting location, the first question from one of them was what channel are you using. I was amused but had to tell him I did not know how to use it and did not have any speakers or a mic in my helmet. I understand that I could have listened through the bike's speakers, but could not have communicated which is what the guys wanted to do while riding. Oh well. :roll:

I am going to print what you wrote so I can remember until I commit it to memory and learn how to use the CB. I guess the first thing I need to do is get the Edsets installed in my helmet.

Again, thanks for explaining, and for the great tips about etiquette. I really appreciate your help. Now to think of a handle. :lol: Ride safely always. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You're very welcome Todd. I'm sure there's some stuff I forgot.. maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
wvnnva said:
...I appreciate any help you can give me.
The chatter on the CB is NOTHING like it use to be. The novelty of the thing will wear off very quickly when you listen to the crap that's being broadcast on just about every channel.

If you're riding in a group with other CB users, decide ahead of time what channel(s) you're going to use or switch to.

Learn a few hand signals to communicate with other riders...there will be long periods that you simply can't use the CB.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should also be aware that channel 9 is for emergencies only and should not be used for chit chat.

Lori
Bkr Chk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think you got him started in the right direction. The rest he will pick up fast. Some of the truckers are really nice guys. some are jerks. But that is life and in any profession. I drove big rigs for awhile and attempted to get along with all people on the radio. But you know how some people are. Dont take everything you hear to heart. Most of the jerks are really big men in that cab and alone. I am getting one for my new 07 to talk to others in my group. Mostly on long trips alone I like listening to the truckers talk to each other. Some of them are a hoot.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all that responded. Sorry to not have gotten back a bit sooner, but my internet connection has been out for over 24 hours. Am still having some problems but using this forum seems to be OK as far as I can determine.

You have each given me some helpful suggestions that I will be able to use. I appreciate it very much. :D

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts