GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for four years, I finally bought my first Goldwing today, a 2002 non-ABS model with 34,000 miles on it.

The dealer is fixing some things now and I need some insight about a few issues from those who know. I want to make sure that I ask for the right things before taking delivery next week.

I'm wondering if the LCD display is malfunctioning because it only shows the two odometer readings on the bottom of the screen during normal operation. It seems like there should be something displayed on the top 90% of the screen during normal operation. When I pressed MODE, it shows air temperature and scrolls through radio settings. Does it sound right to you?

I noticed some front-end shaking around 45mph. The salesman showed me some cupping on the front tire. I'm wondering if I should install the brace that's supposed to add rigidity to the front forks. Comments?

The salesman wants to sell me a $199 tire/wheel towing contract to repair or replace tires/wheels damaged by road hazards. I've owned four other motorcycles and never needed this. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

The bike has a tubular style luggage rack on the trunk. I noticed that the screws on the underside of the lid presses directly on the fiberglass. I'm thinking of installing a rubber washer under a large metal washer under the lid to disperse the stress from this rack out of concern that it could crack the fiberglass. Thoughts?

It also has fog lights with one burned out. The bulbs look cloudy so I'm thinking that it's a cheaper aftermarket unit. The dealer said that he'd replace the bulb. It also has Kury grips & pegs and a very TALL Tulsa vented windshield. I'm used to my eyes being at the top edge of the windshield but I'm looking a couple inches below the top with this one. I guess I'll have to decide if I can live with this one. It has an extended warranty going to 2009 as well. That was a surprise.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Lorne, congratulations on your new bike. I personally like the '02's best, but that's because I have one, too. :)
As far as the LCD display goes, if the screen is blank except for the odometer readings, it merely means the radio isn't on. The frequency of the station displays in the large, blank area. If you turn the radio on and this shows up, you're good to go.
I've never had a wobble problem, so I can't go there, but I think the cupped front tire is at least part of the problem. I'd replace that, and she what happens to the wobble.
The road hazard warranty I'm going to leave to you. I'd never try to talk you out of any kind of insurance you feel you need. Personally, I'd take my chances without it, but I'm a risk taker. :)
The screws on the trunk rack go into an inner cover on the trunk lid, and mine seem to be sturdy enough for what I'm going to use it for, so I've never worried about mine. The manufacturer only recommends 10lb on the rack, so beefing it up might not be necessary.
Since you've got an extended warranty, that should cover the major stuff. Enjoy the new bike, and ride safe.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have a 2002 with over 103,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems to speak of. I believe if you have a wobble at 45 MPH and the tires are cupped, that would be a reason for that wobble. Personally, I do not have a brace and actually never needed one. The only time I had a wobble it was due to Dunlop tires. If you keep the air pressure at about 44 psi you should eliminate front tire cupping.

I would try the new 'stones and you should feel a difference. If you do not feel any difference, you said it is still under warranty, have the dealer do what they need to do.

As far as tire/wheel road hazard ... well that is up to you. Personally, I think it woiuld be a waste of money unless you live where there thousands of potholes.

I would make certain that a couple of the recall items were completed. ECM and the frame weld inspection. My 02 frame was not cracked and I am perfectly happy with the motorcycle and plan on keeping it until I get lots more miles on it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Wobbling. Many 1800s have this. Front tires, back tires, and all sorts of things have been given as reasons for this. Most find it can be solved with All Balls tapered bearings. You can get them at a good price from the sponser of this board and have your dealer install them.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =714034296

I had a Super Brace on mine and liked the stability it added, particularly at slow speed. Many, if not most, say they find it does not make a difference.

After you've ridden for a while and read this board, you may decide to improve every aspect of your ride by upgrading your suspension with Traxxion Dynamics.

www.traxxion.com

If you do a board search on this, you will find a few naysayers. You will also find that none of them has ever ridden a bike with it. But don't jump in fast on this. It's very expensive. Instead ride up to N. GA and a bunch of us will be glad to show you around and you can try out a wing with Traxxion installed. Even more important will be riding up to Rib Country for some of the best BBQ anywhere. Here is a long, drawn out discussion on the subject:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

As far as the windshield goes, you could cut it down yourself. Several on this board have done so and would be glad to tell you how if you don't already know.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Road Runner said:
I have a 2002 with over 103,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems to speak of. I believe if you have a wobble at 45 MPH and the tires are cupped, that would be a reason for that wobble. Personally, I do not have a brace and actually never needed one. The only time I had a wobble it was due to Dunlop tires. If you keep the air pressure at about 44 psi you should eliminate front tire cupping.

I would try the new 'stones and you should feel a difference.
If you do not feel any difference, you said it is still under warranty, have the dealer do what they need to do.

As far as tire/wheel road hazard ... well that is up to you. Personally, I think it woiuld be a waste of money unless you live where there thousands of potholes.

I would make certain that a couple of the recall items were completed. ECM and the frame weld inspection. My 02 frame was not cracked and I am perfectly happy with the motorcycle and plan on keeping it until I get lots more miles on it.

Good luck with your decision.

HI ENJOY!!! BY 'stones" he means a 709 bridgstone front tire!!! I agree a VERY good tire & the least "wobbler" of the bunch!!! Also check the REAR tire for cupping & delamination!! (what is normaly called a "broken belt" on a car tire!!!!) these are radial tires just like car tires now & have the same problems !! Just be AWARE!!!!!! It is your A$$..this bike is not perfect...BUT D%$#! close you are buying the BEST......chuck :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts