GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL AFTER 13K ON DUNLOPS AND RAINY SEASON APPROACHING ITS TIME FOR THE SLIP AND SLIDE TO END. I NEED TO COMPARE THE NEW AVONS TO THE STICKY STONES DOES ANYBODY HAVE ENOUGH MILAGE ON THE AVONS TO COMPARE AND COMMENT?
THANKING EVERYONE IN ADVANCE,
MARK

·
Registered
22 Posts
Avons

I have had th Venom Rs on my 1997 Valkyrie Tour and They were great and I now have them on My 03 Wing and don't see why they would not be just as good on the Wing. Take a few miles to really know if they are any different on my Wing.. As of now it will be a judgment Call for anyone as they haven't been in use long enough for a good rating... BJ

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mark - I haven't heard any comments or feedback on the Avon front tire, but I have read a great report on someone who was using the Bridgestone G709 front tire and the new Avon rear tire and they were really impressed with that combination. Personally, I don't think you can find a better front tire than the Bridgestone G709 and I have run enough sets to know the cupping issue is just not happening with that tire compared to others. I still think a lot of it has to do with tire pressure and while I have run 38 in the front, I have a good friend who runs 36 and is close to 20,000 miles on his G709 and no cupping, so it's hard to argue with that kind of success.

The Avon results will start appearing if the users are driving any "significant" amount of mileage.

DaleC

·
Registered
824 Posts
At this point in time, a wait and see attitude is probably the best thing. Until people have time to put on 5,000 plus in various conditions, the real verdict will be out. Also, wear will be an issue to think about. How many miles to a set of tires?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Go with the stones:thumbup:
Got in the wayback machine eh?

About to put one of them "New Avon's" on the back of my new bike with a 'stone front. Too bad it's my last VenomR and they've been discontinued for quite a while.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put the paddles on them and yell "clear"

·
Registered
478 Posts
I run the 709 in the front and an Avon Cobra on the rear. The Cobra gives better mileage than the Stone 704 rear and handles about the same for me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i've gone and done the opposite. avon cobra up front and the 704 in the rear (when i'm not running the falken on long trips)

i only have about 500 miles on the avon so far though, so far i'm pretty happy. ultimately i won't completely know if i like it till it wears all the way out. i'd be happy with 9k miles on it, but i want solid traction its whole life.

the reason i switched is because i was unhappy with the 709, seems to get too hard as it wears down. during the last 3k miles on it (out of 10) it would slip practicing tight turns in the parking lot. not everyone needs to do that a lot, but i do. i also felt it slip a little on a fast, tight mountain road, ... although there could have been debris to help it out too that time.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have a Avon cobra on the rear at the moment it has done about 13k and i will be replacing it soon out of all the 60 series rear tyres i have tried this is my favorite in this size it wears a little better than the rear stone G704 i found both of these tyres grip well

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
stones

I have stones on my bike G704 back and G709 fronts have 16,700 miles on them my dealer told me to run 41lbs front 42 rear I need to replace both the are cupped pretty bad, what do you guys think is my dealer lieing to me to much air love the tires?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have Avon Cobras front and rear and really like 'em. About 6k miles and wearing very well. Stick like glue and no cupping. I plan on trying the 'stones next just to compare but right now the Cobras have top billing.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
The OP's post is over 6 years old now; I bet he has it all figured out by now.

;-)

prs

·
Registered
528 Posts
Tires

Had the Avon Cobra's put on 7k ago.. Really like em.. Stick like glue, ride smooth, and handle like a dream, and they are wearing well with not cupping. Running 38-40 psi in the front 42 in the rear. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The OP's post is over 6 years old now; I bet he has it all figured out by now.

;-)

prs
You are right, the post is six years old, I never noticed. How do people FIND these old posts. Maybe their TV set is broken or something.

·
Registered
81 Posts
avon tyres

Ran a set of new Avon Cobra tyres on my 07 to 6,835 miles before replaced the set. The rear tyre was not worn down to the wear bars but was pretty badly cupped and flat not round in the middle of the tyre. The front tyre looks like it could go another 4 or 5 K miles but is "feather" cupped. They got noisy at 6,660 miles. Otherwise they are a great handling tyres and very sticky. I ran them pretty hard as I like to ride one-up and have no fear in the twisties. I replaced the Avon's with Dunlop E-3's to see if I can get better mileage. Just my experience.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I just posted this in another thread this morning;

What pisses me off is how much I payed for that Cobra. And it did not last any longer than the Bridgestone 850, which is the ultra sticky, 70 series, VTX tire.
I'm starting to think that Bridgestone is the only company who's got it right.
The 709 is the pinnacle of Goldwing front tires!

I was really hoping that the Cobra would be the one.:oops:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Albeit, this is an old forum but it has helped me in answering my question. I'm preparing to replace both tires for the first time and trying to decide what I should get. I'm running what came on the bike when I bought it in 2008. I've decided on the Bridgestone G709 for the front, but I need more input on the back. Thanks to all of you that have tested the waters!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I have an Avon Cobra on the front of my Wing with just over 8000 miles on it. Looks like I should get maybe 12-13k out of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try the cobra's

I have cobra's front and rear I mounted them with Dynabeads and new patchboy metal 90 degree valve stems. I have 6k on them and so far the combo is awesome and heads above the two sets of dunlops before them. I've never had the Stones but am curious after all I've read. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts