GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was night riding on hwy 69 from Sudbury ON, just over a month ago, and a large black bear sprinted from the right shoulder, under cover of darkness, and knocked me off my bike and then my bike continued 100yds into left side guard rail. I suffered cracked ribs but thank God I was able to walk away but bike was beat up at the front and both sides.
Looking for another GL1800 to fix mine as I had minimum coverage this year and insurance didn't cover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Man, sorry I can't help with the bike but I'm glad that you are OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right, more important is that I was, as the policeman said, spared from a typical nastier scene involving such a large animal.
As for the bike, my only hope, is to come across some inexpensive hurt GL1800 for complete parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They should be out there. Had 3 wrecks come trhough the shop this year. Thats high for wings. Normally its sport bikes sprinkled with a few cruiseres.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, your reply is a ray of hope.
I've checked with my insurance co and they said they get salvage bikes but have an established procedure and the few "recycler/salvage shops I tried had none. :shrug:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Have you considered reversing your plan...selling your parts and buying another bike...Just a Thought...:shrug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that was my gut reaction when I first saw the "sad" bike, but my subsequent thought was, I'm still paying for the bike and can't afford a nice bike for a while.
That's when I started entertaining " is there not a way to rebuild her on a budget? " I also have no idea what money can my parts fetch and how hard would that be.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ouch...still owing on it is a big issue...would be nice if a shop that works on wings somewhere near by would take it in on trade (for parts of course) for a nice used one...good luck in your searching...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Handley, I never thought of that possibility.
And thank you David C. for the link. I had wondered if I could buy a salvage bike through someone like them from Canada? My most comfortable solution.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Looking for another GL1800 to fix mine as I had minimum coverage this year and insurance didn't cover it.
Most likely any bike you purchase will have very similar (front end) damage as your bike has so you won't really gain anything. Finding a bike without front end damage will likely be VERY difficult and more importantly, VERY expensive. My insurance company wanted $4,800 for my bike when I crashed. At the time, I had over 140,000 miles on it and just about very piece of plastic on the front was damaged. I offered $1,200 and they just laughed at me.

You might want to watch Ebay (if not in a hurry) for a couple of months and slowly get the parts you need. Glad you were able to walk away from the accident. Did you kill the bear?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks LD_Rider, the experience and info (much appreciated) about your insurance co was one aspect I was wondering about. My ins. co said they deal only with the prearranged routes, to unload their wrecks, and I had no idea what I'd have to shell out to pick up a dead motor'd GL1800 from those salvage auctions. And yes to your last question, the bear's head injury was fatal, for he died within minutes according to riding buddy (I never saw bear as ambulance arrived soon after I came to).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Carl, That site is better than some auction sites I checked as it allows non-dealers (me) to bid in 5-6 of the states.
I'll be keeping my eye on them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There was a guy just a coupleof weeks ago that got rear end damage and they totaled his 09 with 4100 miles......the guy was in west va. I will see if I can find his handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Jetdok5, Ill try that as my biggest hope so far is picking up a whole salvage bike from Canada and typically that means an "out of country" auction.
I like the idea and the less formal conditions of dealing with someone directly (less strict deadlines and all).

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
I know that I am in possession of the front cowl 'stay', and likely a few other non body parts.
From the pic of the damage, it looks like you are into it for at least $4000.00 in parts.
Contact me; with your 'wish list'
All parts are sold at 50% of HDL retail + shipping

1 - 20 of 24 Posts