GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any actual hands on experience removing painted pin stripping off a Wing ? I don't want to wreck anything and the idea of using "oven cleaner " seems very risky at best .

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
here is the real deal

I bought a used bushtec once, it had pin striping on it that i needed to remove, i used easy off oven cleaner, it worked perfectly, you have to leave it about 5 minutes for it to dissolve the pin striping. You might have a faint shadow of the stripe in the paint but the stripe itself will be gone.
I cant understand why riders have their name and their wife's name tatooed on the back of their bike. Next owner will have a hail of a time removing it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
pinstripes

I have removed several names people have painted on there trunks .Sorry i always use Easy Off oven cleaner with no ill effects i apply it with a Q-tip and do a small area at a time just apply till all pinstripe gone then rinse dry and wax.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I removed the pinstrippjng off an 1100 a few years ago. It had been on for sometime and Easy off removed it with a little work and no ill effects. There will probably be an outline leftover as the paint underneath has been protected from the sun and has not faded as much. Not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Agreed. I didn't buy mine for the next owner. He can go buy his own.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
At the dealership where I work Part time, they are always getting a used bike or trike with names or unwanted artwork. Easy-Off oven cleaner is used all the time.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 7,000 Miles

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Ed,

Does that oven off cleaner work for removing wrinkles in old skin around the neck and eyes ??

The curious want to know !! :lol:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I have used Easy-Off Oven cleaner with excellent results and nothing detrimental, more than once.

I know it sounds scary, but I have done it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Does that oven off cleaner work for removing wrinkles in old skin around the neck and eyes ??
For that, you have to use Preperation H........ :lol:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
IR Harry said:
For that, you have to use Preperation H........ :lol:
Harry,you been talking to my wife again? :shock:

She seriously mentioned to me a week or so ago that H could be used for wrinkles :idea: :roll:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Few years back I bought a 1500 and really did not like the pinstriping on the bike.

I called the pinstripper I had used in the past to get his opinion, since I had heard about the easy-off oven cleaner thing, but I was reluctant to do it.

He cationed me not to use oven cleaner, and instead said to use polishing compound to remove it (not rubbing compound). So I had a trip from upstate NY to Wings Over the Smokies the next week, so every stop along the way, I broke out my can of polishing compound and started rubbing. Now I certainly won't claim it was extremely easy, but not awful, and I had it all gone by the time I got to WOTS.

Since that time I have heard of quite a few people who have successfully used the Easy-Off...

So, all this being said, if I had to do it over again I would try the Easy-Off method, probably using a Q-Tip and doing a small area to build up your confidence on the process.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Strider said:
Does anyone have any actual hands on experience removing painted pin stripping off a Wing ? I don't want to wreck anything and the idea of using "oven cleaner " seems very risky at best .

The Wing paint is a base color an Clear coat and the clear is chemically hardened like epoxy,
so it won't soften up like the pin stripe paint will.
About the only problem you sometimes see is a shadow of the stripe
which is caused by having the rest of the paint subjected to sunlight,
while the part under the stripe has been protected from any dulling and fading.
If the clear coat is pretty old you might notice a little dulling of the surface where you used the oven cleaner.
Just hit those spots lightly by hand with polishing compound and it will bring back the shine.
Always go lightly with compounds on clear coats.
Once you rub through the clear, the color base coat is going to weather fast.
There are custom shops that can "dust" on some clear and buff it out
so it's hard to tell where the rub-through was, but it's hard to find someone
to do it as there's no guarantee it won't create a bigger mess.
I've had it done on $8000 custom paint jobs when someone at a show damages a finish,
but then you always know the exact history and materials involved.
DC

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Tom,

Be proud of those wrinkles, and think of all the happy times you had getting that artwork around your neck. Happy Holidays

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 7,000 miles

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies everyone 8) . It sounds like it's going to be Oven cleaner then .
If there is any Chemistry types reading this, any idea what chemical it is in the cleaner that does the deed ? :?:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts