GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of messing with the CHEAP Led's from Big Bike. They are $10 for each section and do not last 6 months.
I took some apart and resolderd, but that can only be done sometimes.
Saw some at Owl Lighting, but could not find a supplier from the web site.
I should have bought Kury, but I cannot see spending another $300, and I like the look
on the black GL... any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
blento,

I don't think that Kury's are much better. They have many LED issues as well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent an E mail to Electconn, may be they will come up with a kit.....

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
First I've heard about Kury being bad I'm thinikng about installing them this winter is that so with more owners of the kury's, Morph do you have some that have gone bad?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't know how "electronic technical" you consider yourself but if you are looking for replacement parts try www.mouser.com. Since I don't know if the LDEs in your application are surface mount, thru hole, leaded lead, etc. it is hard to advise which ones to order. However, be advised that "good" LEDs can cost you from $.50 to $2.70 EACH or more (depending on how many you order) so it could pretty expensive buying replacement parts. Radio Shack will have some but buying in bulk is your best bet. The assembly will more or less dictate what you need for replacements. LEDs are voltage rated so how many are in series, whether they are in series or not, etc. will determine what voltage drop resistor you need, and on, and on.....

If they are blowing a lot I would strongly suspect a design flaw. There is a very fine line between trying to get max illumination out of an LED and making them last a long time. Properly designed, the circuit should theoretically last for years.

There are lots of "ham radio types" on this board, so if you could post a picture of the assembly, I would expect the folks here can give you some good advise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Re: Need GOOD LED's to replace Big Bike JUNK in Trunk/saddle

blento said:
Tired of messing with the CHEAP Led's from Big Bike. They are $10 for each section and do not last 6 months.
I took some apart and resolderd, but that can only be done sometimes.
I should have bought Kury, but I cannot see spending another $300, and I like the look
on the black GL... any suggestions??
I know exactly what you are saying here. Last winter I finally got darned tired of replacing the light sections and removed almost $600.00 worth of their junk from my wing as well. I threw away what was no good and gave the rest to a fellow wing owner. I now have just the chrome pieces on the trunk and saddle bags. When someone really convinces me there are some reliable, visible lights out there I might try again. I do like them for the visibility factor more than for the looks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Morph do you have some that have gone bad?
Yes,

I'm buying an 04 that has LED segments out on the Kury trunk, the Show Chrome opera lights and also Ring of Fire (I don't know who's they are yet).

It may not be the LEDs themselves, but rather the current limiting resister or wiring. I haven't taken anything apart yet. Whatever the failures are they are certainly poorly desinged.

BTW, Kury told me by telephone that their warranty only covers the original purchaser and only for 1 year. They were unwilling to make anything good that was outside that. I let them know that that really sux on such an expensive and failure prone product. I assume that if they did it would cost them too much money when they get a lot of customers needing repair or replacement parts.

I haven't been in touch yet with Show Chrome but I intend to. Maybe I'll get a better response from them than from Kury.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Morph said:
blento,

I don't think that Kury's are much better. They have many LED issues as well.
I've got both the trunk and saddlebag lights that I bought in 02.
Ran them for 25,000 miles on my 02,then transferred them to the 04 when I totaled the 02.
Now 27,000 miles on the 04,and no problems at all with them.

I guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Morph,

Now I could be mistaken here, but I think Show Chrome and Big Bike are the same. If I am wrong on this I will at this time apologize for my statement.

I would really hate to put anything in the same sentence with Big Bike that does not belong there. :? :?

5ross

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bike Bike & Showchrome are the same. I would not expect much from them either.
I complained to them and they would do nothing after 6 months.
The problem is with the construction. They have very bad solder joints and they loose
contact. I have tried to resolder but there is nothing to work with. A little too much solder
and the ribbons on the board fall off. I think they are made by Scharder or something like
that, in China were I guess they use as little solder as possible.

I am going to call Winglites and see if they will redo them.
They have a life time warranty on thiers. Looks like it will cost as much
as the Kury, but mabe they will last.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too, have had problems with Kury Akyn products. I installed the saddlebag and trunk lights on my 06' and the saddlebag lights on my right side went out after only a few months. Not good. HDL was good enough to replace them under warranty, but I'm more than a little disappointed with Kury Akyns lack of quality, especially considering how expensive they are. I love how the lights look, so I don't want to go without them, but will I have to shell out hundreds to replace them? Yikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the Winglites but I really would like to do them in chrome for the day time. Guess I'll have to buy the no lite chrome and send them to Winglite. Bummer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had the Kury on my bike since April 03, the day i bought it new. I have never had a problem with the lights burning out. I think it is a great product and really looks good. There is good and bad production on everything made. I recentely bought a new chrysler town & country limited, and after driving it the first 1500 miles it used a quart and half of oil and the radio quite working. Now this morning i used the remote to close drivers side elec. sliding door, soon as it touched the stop it bounced open so i have to close it by hand. Yes these are warranty issues here but i am concerned on the oil usage. So as you can see there is poor quality control on about everthing made. :cry: :x

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Those who want quality workmanship...try here:

Gary & JoAnn's Lighthouse

Web site: gjlighthouse.com

Phone Number: 904-751-4378

You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: Need GOOD LED's to replace Big Bike JUNK in Trunk/saddle

blento said:
Blento,

Sorry that you did not find what you were looking for on our web site. We really do not have anything that would help out with those lights though.

FYI, I've had the Kuryakyn lights on my '02 for over 80,000 miles and not had any problems with them at all.

Keep an eye on our web site and in Wing World we have a couple of new things coming up soon!

·
Registered
751 Posts
blento said:
Bike Bike & Showchrome are the same. I would not expect much from them either.
I complained to them and they would do nothing after 6 months.
The problem is with the construction. They have very bad solder joints and they loose
contact. I have tried to resolder but there is nothing to work with. A little too much solder
and the ribbons on the board fall off. I think they are made by Scharder or something like
that, in China were I guess they use as little solder as possible.

I am going to call Winglites and see if they will redo them.
They have a life time warranty on thiers. Looks like it will cost as much
as the Kury, but mabe they will last.
I also went with Winglites. Ted's work is great.... I purchased new in August in Kentucky and rode the bike back home to Washington State. On my way back home I stopped In Minnesota and had Ted Install his lights on my bike. I am very pleased with the quality of his product.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have Kuryakyn on the trunk and BigBike on the Saddle Bags. I have had this setup for a little over 2 years, no problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts