GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Garmin 2720 Street Pilot . I downloaded a route that's in a GPX file type.
I saved it to my computer.

Now how do I load that route onto my gps? My gps is hooked up to my computer properly, Just can't figure out how to get it into the gps unit. Thanks

· Registered
6,891 Posts
The StreetPilots do not recognize the GPX file format. You'll need to convert it into a GDB or MDB file that the GPS will recognize.

You can do this with Mapsource - open the file there and check it very closely to make sure the waypoints are located exactly where you want them and then save it as a GDB file and then download it to your GPS.

· Registered
6,891 Posts
Start Mapsource, click 'File -> Open' and in the dialog box that comes up, click on the 'Desktop' icon in the left window and then in the 'Files of type' selection window, click the down-arrow and choose 'GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx) choice and you should see your file show up in the main window selection list.

Select it and click the 'Open' button and your file should open.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get to mapsource, do as you say, but I only get files to show up under the POINTS category in mapsource, There's nothing under maps.
Do I send the POINTS information to the gps

Start Mapsource, click 'File -> Open' and in the dialog box that comes up, click on the 'Desktop' icon in the left window and then in the 'Files of type' selection window, click the down-arrow and choose 'GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx) choice and you should see your file show up in the main window selection list.

Select it and click the 'Open' button and your file should open.

· Registered
6,891 Posts
There won't ever be any 'maps' included - you're probably referring to 'routes'. If the GPX file did not include a route, it may only be a collection of waypoints.

Without seeing the GPX file, there's no way to tell what was in there originally.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Here's a brief explanation.

In Mapsource on your PC, open the GPX file. Once it's open the Waypoints tab should show the number of waypoints. If there are none, then none were in the GPX file. Similarly, look at the Routes tab and it will show the number of routes. If there are some, click on the tab and then click on the route and it will show on the screen for you.

If you find there are routes and waypoints and you want them on the GPS, connect the GPS with your connector cable, power it up, and then click on the little GPS icon at the top center of the Mapsource screen (it should be the right hand one with the arrow pointing down).

Once the waypoints/routes have been transferred, you have two choices. If you want to look at a waypoint, press the find button, use the slider scroll bar to find the stored waypoints, and click on the one you want to see. If you want to look at a route, press the ROUTE button and select the list and then the route you want to see.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
6,891 Posts
Tim, Tourman sent me the link to the 'route' file he was trying to import. Unfortunately, it was not a 'route', but someone's track file summary of his ride.

The file included 19 separate track file segments and no routes.

I opened the file in GPSUtility and joined the track file segments, compressed them down, turned the resulting single large track file into a route with waypoints and saved it as a GDB file that he could load into his unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.