GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be vague, but I'm looking for help in doing a project.

I want to get some plastic lettering backlit. I'm thinking of some type of clear plastic that's painted but with the ability of pushing fiber optic into it in the back to give it a backlight/glow kind of effect.

If you know anything about this, or know of any place doing something like this, I'd appreciate if you'd drop me a direct email with that link below.

Thanks.!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You may want to look at electroluminescent strips. These are inexpensive plastic like strips that glow when a high voltage of 100 volts or more is applied to them. You can cut them to to whatever size is needed.

The high voltage is created sometimes with a single AA or AAA battery powering an inverter that cost only a couple of dollars. They use very little current so the battery lasts a long time. There are inverters available that can be powered directly from 12 volts.

Here is a source for strips and inverters:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm not sure it it'll fit your application, but how about the electroluminescent display panels?

They're typically used to backlight LCD modules, (or the Rivco lighted grips)

I'm not sure how big of an area you're looking for, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Backlighting Help Project

O.K. No one responded, so this is what I want to do, and I could use some suggestions.

On the sidecovers of the GL1800 is the world Goldwing. I want to backlight this!

I'd love something that simply gives it a subtle glow so that it appears outlines and is visible from say, a passenger lane over.

Anyone have any good ideas????

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mike,

Don't know if this would work or not. Haven't taken a look at how the script is attached to the side cover. If it has studs through the cover, and if they are long enough, ... what about raising the script off the cover with some type of spacer and putting the StreetGlow Hottwirez under it.

It would give you a backlit panel with a sillouhette of the script.

Just a thought. :?

Paul H. :)

P.S. If it works let us know how it looks and how you accomplished the task!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts