GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I posted some questions earlier about a friend's 02 Wing with the brake lights not working and received several good things to check. To this date the Back Off module has been by passed, the hand and foot brake light switchs have been verified operational, plus the relay has been checked and swapped with another working unit. But, the brake lights still will not work! Any other ideas??? Thanks!

Donnie

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure you've already checked:

1. Fuses
2. Bulbs
3. Did you put a meter on the brake wire going into the Back Off module to verify power to that point? You should have 11 - 12 volts going to that wire when the brake lever or pedal is pressed. If there is no power at that point (going into the Back Off module), you'll have to work your way upstream to determine where the open circuit or broken wire is.
4. If you've got power to that point, I'd use the meter to check downstream (toward the brake lights) of that point.

Sounds like you've done all the easy to do fixes, now it may just take time with a meter to find the true problem. :cus:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a similar problem with the brake lights on my Kaw. Turned out to be a gound problem, not power. See if you can run a temp ground for a test.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
kg5ie said:
I had a similar problem with the brake lights on my Kaw. Turned out to be a gound problem, not power. See if you can run a temp ground for a test.
Ground, pin one on large connector under trunk (reachable from under seat).. Happened to me, really weird symtoms.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His Brake Lights are Working Again!!!

Hi!

Thanks for your ideas! The problem was the "Back Off" module. He had disconnected it earler, but did not get the power attached back to the original harness. Thanks again!

Donnie

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Re: His Brake Lights are Working Again!!!

dwj said:
Hi!

Thanks for your ideas! The problem was the "Back Off" module. He had disconnected it earler, but did not get the power attached back to the original harness. Thanks again!

Donnie
I had 2 "back off" modules fail. I gave up on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts