GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4,372 Posts
I have an Iway 500 and a Iway 600, but they are out of production, so I think that my next one will be a Zumo 550. On most units it's not a big difference in price between new and refurb'd, but if you opt for a refurb, the extended warranties are usually very reasonable. For Christmas we bought the kids a Garmin 750 and the other a 760. They're both nice units, but not waterproof. We've had good luck with www.beachcamera.com

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Zumo 550! Finger and glove friendly, made for a motorcycle. It's the best I have been able to find for the bike.

· Registered
247 Posts
I really like my Zumo 550. Have had 3 other Garmins the past several years but this one is the best.

· Registered
27 Posts
GPS for Bike

Keep your eyes out on the Garmin site. New Zumo 660 with larger screen. Not sure I like all the diffences between the 550 & 660.

Good luck large screen size are hard to find for motorcycle.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
When it comes to small screens, you need to stop and put your glasses on. Trying to squent at 50 mph could get real dangerous. Voice prompts will get you where you need to turn. I just got a simple Garmin 2610 and it gets me there. Only problem I've encountered is the voice prompt keeps saying."Off route, recalculating.":lol:

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Garmin 2720 and 2730 are large screens. Going in $150 range when I got it a month ago. 2720 was my 2nd. 1st was soooo good, it got stolen. Got a new one, not a refurbished for around $150 if my memory serves me right. Gets me from A to B with no frills. Works for me.

Hope that helps you....:popcorn:

· Rocket Man
1,559 Posts
Help Buying GPS

The Zumo 450 works great for me but the 550 gets you Bluetooth compatibility, Sat. radio, the audible name of the road your turning onto, and traffic reports. The 450 was all I needed and is considerably cheaper. I bought mine at Amazon.com. They are great to deal with. The TomTom is also a good one but I have no personal experience with it. Best advise I have is it to stick with a motorcycle specific GPS which would be either the Garmin Zumos or the TomTom.

Get yourself a pair of motorcycle glasses with the wind gasket around the lenses. You can get plain clear lenses with bifocals for reading your GPS and maps etc. I love mine.

· Registered
2,136 Posts
Besides the screen size, the Zumo 660 has a lane change feature to help you be in the correct lane for an entry or exit. Other than that, they are pretty close. I don't believe that the 660 does anything additional to the 550.

The retail on the 660 is 799 the 550 was 899.

Good Luck.

Daveo

· Registered
628 Posts
I went with a Lowrance XOG. You can get one for @ $150.00. It's water resistant and can be used for boat navigation also. I'm not concerned with the screen size as I don't want it distracting me from my main concern (driving). I only listen to the voice. I also don't try to navigate by touch screen for the same reason.

LAW:shock:

· Squating Member
7,055 Posts
I've had several GOS units, all Gamin's. 2610, 2720, Quest, Quest2 and now a Zumo 550....
All good units and Garmin has one of the best customer service center available...might have to wait 30 minutes, but they go the extra mile...

If I were buying today, I would go with the 550 again, the new 660 may be a better unit, but I don't know if it's available now...so the 550 would be for me....I like the features of the unit and it was designed for motorcycles....I bought mine used on eBay...got a good one...also bought the GXM antenna for XM radio, weather and traffic....all works great.

· Registered
2,136 Posts
One additional point that needs to be made. I've got a zumo 550 and It's pretty cool, I'm still figuring it out after having it on the bike for 2 days. I have noticed that the 2009 mapping software is quirky. This is probably true for all GPS's but I found myself going along on a state highway that according to the garmin was a hundred yards or so off to the right of my motorcycle. I appeared to be riding in a field. This has happened twice. Once yesterday and once today. Yesterday, it told me in the text at the top of the screen I was proceeding North on Ronald Reagan Blvd, but the map showed me traveling through fields.

today it was telling me to get back on the road! I was shown riding off in the field to the left of the road.

In defense to both situations, the Northern extention of ronald reagan blvd is only a couple of years old and Garmin hasen't updated their map. That is probably true for the event today as well. After a while, the field I was riding in merged back up on to the road that I should have been on. The newer section of the road was built slightly over from the original road I guess.

I wondered how Garmin can sell you a 2009 map upgrade in June of 2008.

Anyway, my point is DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT A PAPER MAP IN YOUR TRUNK. YOU JUST MIGHT STILL HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

It is a very cool little gadget, and I'm enjoying learning all it's capabilities.

Daveo

· Registered
251 Posts
They just keep getting better! Zumo 550 - best Garmin ever. If saving $ is important, refurbished can't be beat if they come with the same warranty. And they usually do.

· Registered
267 Posts
I've been waiting for Garmin to upgrade to a larger screen before I paid the price for a "motorcycle" ready GPS. I currently have a 255W (not motorcycle approved) and it does just fine on the bike. Now that Garmin has come out with the 660, I'm looking to buy since it has the 4.3" screen. However, be advised that it doesn't come out until around April of this year. So, unless you are pre-ordering, you won't get the 660 if you buy on Monday. In addition, the 660 won't have some of the features the 550 does. The 660 only has 20 routes and no XM. I would recommend printing Garmin's comparison chart and considering what is the best buy for your money. I'm ready to buy now, but I'm biting the bullet for a couple of months to see what happens with the 660.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
I have the Garmin 2730. Great kit and works well. Been trying it out in the car and easy to set up route. How ever I am having a difficult time learning how to use the USB interface with my computer. Have linked up with Mapquest but not Google maps yet. This is a very inexpensive unit and is water proof. Still available at amazon. com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.