GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I removed the panel covering the battery & fuse box for the first time today and found this orange wire (connected to the red wire running toward the front of the bike). It was lying across the top of the battery not connected to anything.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand what this "spare" wire is for.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is that a fuse holder I see? The pic is kinda small. Did you buy the bike new or used? If it is a fuse holder and you bought the bike used I am guessing the previous owner did an add on of some sort and forgot to remove the wire with the accessory when he sold it to you. My driving lights have a wire/fuse holder like that connected to the battery. Also my 400 watt amp.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Loose wire

It could be a positive lead that was used for a Battery Tender...to keep the battery fully charged when not riding the bike. Normally you install a pigtail to the battery and then connect it up to the Battery Tender when you shut down the bike.

Just a thought. Battery Tender pigtails have that built in fuse protector .

Cheers

·
Registered
638 Posts
Since the battery is not OEM I assume the bike was bought used. That wire is more than likely for some accessory that the previous owner had. Pull off the seat and see where it goes.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Deffinately not stock... your going to have to track it down to find out what it goes to...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks just like the wire that came with my gerbing heated gloves. Follow the wire and see where it goes. You may have an outlet or connecter for them somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts