GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on the Trailer Board and didn't get a single response. Maybe my luck will be better over here.

Bought a '04 Bushtec Quantum trailer off a board member a couple of months ago and just now getting around to installing an EC isolator on the bike. EC and Bushtec both told me that their isolators are identical.

The paperwork that came with the isolator states that the 5 wires coming off it are:

Green = running lights
Brown = left turn
Yellow = right turn
Blue = brake lights
Black = ground

The trailer wiring is stock Bushtec and has never been altered according to the previous owner who picked up the trailer at the factory from Mr. Preston and had a hitch installed and wired at the same time. The flat plug on the trailer has the above colored wires plus a white wire.

Is the white wire for the interior light in the trailer? If so, does the interior light in a Bushtec trailer have a mercury switch that kills it when the lid is lowered? That would determine whether or not I wanted a switched or unswitched power source for the light. Where in the rear of the bike do you access such a source?

If anyone can illuminate this subject for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,098 Posts
From Bushtec's website

What is the configuration of the Bushtec electrical system?

All Bushtec trailers are built with a 6 wire electrical harness. This system is designed to support separate signal feeds from the motorcycle for optimal visibility at the rear of the trailer. Color codes are as follows:
Green- Taillights
Blue- Brake
Yellow- Right Turn
Brown- Left Turn
White- Ground
Black- Interior Light (auxiliary)
Bushtec trailers feature an auxiliary lead that allows the interior light to be run on a separate lead that can be connected via a 12V hot source on the motorcycle. However, we recommend that the interior light be run in conjunction with the taillights to assure that it is turned off when the ignition is turned off, thereby eliminating the possibility of drawing down the battery due to a 12V hot light source. This auxiliary lead can also be used through a switched circuit for the addition of auxiliary lighting on the trailer, such as LED’s or neon.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
the black lead on my Turbo powers the on-board air compressor for the shocks, the interior light is tied into the tail lights..

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. My EC paperwork clearly states that the black wire is the ground on the isolator. Perhaps the colors don't match from Bushtec to EC. I guess I need to test each wire for functionality or call either Bushtec or EC to get the real skinny.

I guess that also answers my question about there being a mercury switch on the interior light.

Regards
Doug

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My Quantum has a switch to manually turn the light on and off. No mercury switch. Wire it to the tail lights.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What Roadie said is true. I just worked on my Bushtec wiring so I know it's a fact. The white is ground and the black is auxiliary. I have no clue about the EC harness.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, white is ground on the trailer; black is ground on the isolator. Thanks all for the help.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts