GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions for you mechanical minded types. My break lever connections don’t seem to be working. There are four wires that connect there and when I move them I have break lights. So I know I have a loose connection there. Which one of the four do I need to focus on?

Then on the way into work I had to use my emergency flashers while stopped in traffic. When I went to turn them off they stayed on. No matter how many times I pressed on the switch I could not get them to shut off. Should be interesting going home…..How can I get them to turn off? I guess the switch is broke…..

·
Registered
833 Posts
You should have a microswitch on the brake lever that may have gone bad. Otherwise it is a wiring issue. And there should be a fuse you can pull to deactivate your 4 way flashers. It will also disable your signal lights. So don't use that as a permanent fix.

·
Registered
359 Posts
switches

Pete,
You need to clean you switches. Get some Contact cleaner (Radio Shack- "You got questions ,we got dumb looks") . Remove the switch from under the front brake lever, 1 phillips screw. spray Contact cleaner in the hole in the bottom of the switch, while working the plungers in and out. Reinstall make sure to line up the alignment pin then screw into place. Emergency flashers can also be cleaned with the cleaner.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: switches

motovation said:
Pete,
You need to clean you switches. Get some Contact cleaner (Radio Shack- "You got questions ,we got dumb looks") . Remove the switch from under the front brake lever, 1 phillips screw. spray Contact cleaner in the hole in the bottom of the switch, while working the plungers in and out. Reinstall make sure to line up the alignment pin then screw into place. Emergency flashers can also be cleaned with the cleaner.

I did pull the fuse on the flashers; going to take it real easy going home with no turn signals. Not that it matters in Florida; using a turn signal in this state is a sign of weakness.

will give your advice a shot....I guess that measns pulling off all the tupaware on the left side to get to the hazzard switch.

Thanks Dan....

·
Registered
359 Posts
switch

Pete,
Just remove the trim strip on the left side. Then remove the allen head srew that holds the panel in. pry it out carefully. You can remove the back real easy. Spray away.

·
Registered
359 Posts
switch

Pete,
Just remove the trim strip on the left side. Then remove the allen head srew that holds the panel in. pry it out carefully. You can remove the back real easy. Spray away.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: switch

motovation said:
Pete,
Okay did that and now that the switch is disconected the break lights stay on all the time. When I pulled down the swich a little black spacer fell out; which way do I put that back.
Hey at least I have break lights on all the time now...

damn I have not even gotten to the flashers....just disconected them under the fairing pocket.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

finleypj said:
motovation said:
Pete,
Okay did that and now that the switch is disconected the break lights stay on all the time. When I pulled down the swich a little black spacer fell out; which way do I put that back.
Hey at least I have break lights on all the time now...

damn I have not even gotten to the flashers....just disconected them under the fairing pocket.
NEVER MIND....working fine....guess that little plastic thing is important after all.....

Dan I don't ever hire me....I suck at mechcanics 101; just give me the good old orthopedic trauma and I will be fine.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

motovation said:
Pete,

Everything working now?
Everything is working great; the contacts were dirty and once I figured out what the small black plastic pice was and how it fit the lights work fine. I pulled the baker wings and plastic strip off; used some wd-40 on a q-tiip now the hazard switch works fine too.

Rode her in th rain this mroning....had too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts