GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this site is for 1800's but I'm getting ready to sell my 1500 after getting my 1800 two months ago and need a little help. It is a 98 model with approx 46,000 miles. It has always ran great with no problems. After sitting all fall and winter, I was having trouble getting it started. Felt it was the old gas which I ran out and also used some fuel system cleaner. Once I get it started, it runs great no problems whatsoever. It will restart easy. If I let it set for a day or longer , I have trouble getting it started. Seem like I have to crank forever. Also it almost seems that it won't fire off until just as I let off the starter button. Can't swear that is true all the time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
These hints worked for mine for 5 years & 72k miles. If it sets for a week or so, full choke, 3 blips on the throttle, then hit the starter button (most of the time, releasing the starter after a half-second or so is better than holding the starter until it cranks). A dying battery will also make it harder to start. When the battery gets close to the end of it's life, you'll usually get some static (that you didn't have before) thru your headset. An appropriate amount (read the label) of Sea Foam also does wonders once a year or so. Hope some of the tips help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You might want to take a look at your plugs. Sounds like one or more of them might be fouling.. Does it run rough for a few seconds after you start it?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Firing as you release the starter button is a sign of a weak battery. The starter is taking all the" juice", and there is none left for the ignition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Firing as you release the starter button is a sign of a weak battery. The starter is taking all the" juice", and there is none left for the ignition.
:agree:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. I will try sea foam and new battery. I guess I was thinking more along a air leak in a fuel hose or something. In regard to one post, no it does not run rough as it first starts at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had the same issue with my 98 Valk for a bit when the choke wasn't working properly. I'd have to crank for a little longer than normal and it would run the battery down. I'd put a charger on it and it would fire right up. Changed the battery and fixed the choke cable, now it fires up every time.

I was told that when the battery gets below a certain voltage, it doesn't have enough power to keep the boxer running........Truth or Fiction? Not sure, but changing the battery definitely worked for me, and the old one was only a year old! Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If it starts when you release the start switch then you have a weak battery. Change the Battery and all will be great

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I bought a new battery and yep it starts and runs just fine.
Thanks for the imput.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I know this site is for 1800's but I'm getting ready to sell my 1500 after getting my 1800 two months ago and need a little help. It is a 98 model with approx 46,000 miles. It has always ran great with no problems. After sitting all fall and winter, I was having trouble getting it started. Felt it was the old gas which I ran out and also used some fuel system cleaner. Once I get it started, it runs great no problems whatsoever. It will restart easy. If I let it set for a day or longer , I have trouble getting it started. Seem like I have to crank forever. Also it almost seems that it won't fire off until just as I let off the starter button. Can't swear that is true all the time. Any suggestions?
I bet if you put jumper cables to it it will start instantly I had two 1500 when the battery is a little weak it wont crank that is why it will crank when you let off the starter button it gets a full charge to the ignition.
Good Luck Jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts