GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of ordering a new stock seat for my 2003 GL1800 that came with a Road Sofa gel seat that simply doesn't fit me properly. On the OEM parts diagram, there are two rubber bumpers plus two seat supports that I assume I will need to buy (parts 2 and 3); however, there are two other parts near the back (parts 4 and 8 in the diagram) that I am unsure about ordering. Since I will be selling the Road Sofa seat complete, and the new seat doesn't come with any attachments, I need some advice.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-gl1800-gold-wing/o/m2390#sch99816

I want to thank any and all who respond. This is a great forum. I belong to quite a few, but this is definately in a league all it's own (just like the Gold Wing itself..:)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
seat parts

Save yourself a ton of money and time and just buy a stock seat from someone on the forum for about 100 - 150. The seats are all the same from 01 - 2010.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sir, in all fairness, I would gladly consider your offer; however, with the Road Sofa seat, you really should try your butt on it before looking at taking it which means I'll probably have to sell it locally in good conscience. Any and all comments on this seat on this and other boards bear out that this is an inferior seat as far as comfort goes. The front part slants upwards, which over time binds the skin on the inside part of your legs painfully. That is why I am going to the flatter, stock seat even though I will have to purchase an aftermarket Utopia backrest

I would consider your offer seriously since it solves botgh my problems, but you should really think this through. The Road Sofa seat cost the previous owner $925 but frankly, he wasted his money. Honda spent 35 years improving the Gold Wing, and from what I hear they have the seat down perfectly for most people.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,222 Posts
I am in the process of ordering a new stock seat for my 2003 GL1800 that came with a Road Sofa gel seat that simply doesn't fit me properly. On the OEM parts diagram, there are two rubber bumpers plus two seat supports that I assume I will need to buy (parts 2 and 3); however, there are two other parts near the back (parts 4 and 8 in the diagram) that I am unsure about ordering. Since I will be selling the Road Sofa seat complete, and the new seat doesn't come with any attachments, I need some advice.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-gl1800-gold-wing/o/m2390#sch99816

I want to thank any and all who respond. This is a great forum. I belong to quite a few, but this is definately in a league all it's own (just like the Gold Wing itself..:)
If you buy the new seat, the # 2 & 3 parts should come with it and you will need 4 each of the #4 & 8 parts. Bike bandit's parts list doesn't show number required or what assembly goes with what. HDL's list http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2003&fveh=3499 shows you the breakdown of what comes with what as an assembly and the number required of each part. HDL's prices are cheaper as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a difference. The seat is $266 versus $380 at the other site. Thanks a heap !!!!!

Thanks to all who responded. At this point in time, I'm going to order a new seat from HDL and sell the Road Sofa separately on Kijiji locally. I want the new owner to trial fit it before he commits. Guess I can get $300 to $400 for it which will pay for a new seat, and only leave the Utopia backrest to buy.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,222 Posts
Yep, I said the #2 & 3 parts come with it because of the line drawn around them and the seat with the #1 designation in the diagram. Alot of these other sites won't have that line, so you end up ordering extra stuff you're already getting.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you but I'm going to buy a new seat and sell this one locally, since it's worth far more than a stock seat (dunno why, it's a POS really....)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts