GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to purchase a camping trailer to pull with my bike but I have know idea which one is best.
So I was hoping some of you could give me your opions and possibly be able to tell where in Calif I might be able to see them before I buy. If not in Calif where the closest locations are.

THX Wht Lightning

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dont buy anything but a bunkhouse if there are two sleeping in it. I have owned others and was not happy with them. Love that bunkhouse.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you feel that was about bunk house? The only other one I am familur with is the time out.

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
453 Posts
We have the Aspen Classic and love it, don't know anything about any of the others. Went and looked at the Time Out, and decided against it because it takes longer to set up than the Aspen. (about 10 minutes after unhooking it from the bike) also the frame of the Aspen is on the inside.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Bunkhouse, and love it! The wife and I live in that thing all summer long. I find it easy yo set up and take down. We like the KING size bed. I have a small heater for it and camp into November sometimes. I would by another one in a minute. Plus Ken from B&F is a great guy to work with.
Is this camper going to be for 2 people or 1? There is a little bunkhouse now, that if your by yourself would be easier to put up and take down.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I have a Kwik Kamp and it suits my needs. They aren't made anymore though. I've seen several different ones at rallies and if I was to buy a new one it would be a Roll-a-Home. Bunkhouse is ok but I think the Roll-a-Home is better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hubie; This camper will be for me and the wife, plus I want lots of storage area. How do most people go about seeing these things be for purchase? find someone that owns one then look at that?
I tried contacting Time out and they said "Sorry we sell direct there are no dealers to see these at"
Theres no way I will spend three or four grand on these with out being able to see one first.

Wht lightning

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a Time Out Camper, bought new. Kept it about a year. What a pain in rear to set up and down and not enough cargo space. The canvas has some sort of coating and did not breathe at all, consequently in damp humid areas there would be GOBS of condensation on the inside of the canvas, so much so it would drip on you while in the bed.
My spouse agreed to TRY camping, but NOT on ground. Sooooo I tried to accommodate her!
My recommendations for camping is Holiday Inn Express!!!!
Go to the larger, better rallies and most will be there with their products.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I bought mine, I had a chance to see a few. The at a state rally we got into the bunkhouse and a quickkamp. We went for the larger bed(king) in the bunkhouse. We have about 25cf of storage space, and a cooler rack. We have gone on two week trips, and were able to take all we needed. If we stay some place for more than a couple of days, we also have an add-a-room that we put up. It's an 8X10 addition that go on the front. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Try a Bunkhouse. I bought a used one for $2100 (about current market value) a couple of years ago, it now has about 15000 miles on it. Piece of cake to drag it around, only takes a couple of minutes to set it up if you do not add the Add-A-Room, and is really a neat unit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx for the pics guys, looks like some nice set up's.
Does anyone in the So Cal or Arizona area have either a bunk house or a Aspen classic that I could come by and look at?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Out here on the East Coast...many of the bike rallies involve various tent/camper sales and they are set up for folks to peruse... Would probably be a good place to start.

See if you can visit some local campgrounds and see if there are any set up and chat with the folks?

Just a suggestion.... Will be going the same route next year!!

Bob

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am in Tucson and have a 2004 Aspen Classic. My wife and I are considering selling it but havent really decided yet. Kind of a bit of a travel for you but if you want to check one out I would make it available for your inspection.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Lees-ure lite Excel (car version), sets up in 7 seconds, queen size bed. Weighs in at 245lbs. Gives you about 100lbs of additional storage capacity before you overload the maximum towing capacity (standard safety margin, accounting for a total of 400lbs for pair of passengers). I have a 7' screened add a room which takes another ten minutes to set up.

Best part of the Lees-ure lite, I can quickly stop at the side of the road, not even unhitch and pop the camper up and change into something more comfortable :)

Bunkhouse weighs in at 350lbs unladen ... I got nervous and veered away myself from considering it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have a 93 Kwik Camp which I picked up on Ebay for $1200 Cost $360 to truck it from Wis. to KS. It is well built with very little sign of wear. I slept in it through some serious thunder storms at Sturgis. Cosy with a nice vestibule and room extension. It has an unbelievable amount of storage space and tracks great.

I figure why buy new when used will do.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts