GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the masses. I'm trying to wire in the jumper to use the turn signal cancel button to display the temp using the procedures given by several on the board,
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198572&highlight=temp+turn

However, as can be seen in the pictures attached the panel of buttons under the display for bikes with Navi is a bit different.
What I need to know is which side of the INFO switch should I connect the jumper to (which will ultimately go to the turn signal cancel switch)? See the picture with the red circle.
One side of the switch has a red/yellow wire and the other side has two wires both of which are green/yellow strip with a intermittent brown band.

Once again, thanks to all who post pictures and tips to this board. Without your help I wouldn't attempt any of this stuff. :thumbup:

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
The red with yellow wire is the switch input and the green with yellow is the output to ground. You want to patch into the red with yellow input side so that grounding it (via the T/S cancel) will do the same thing as pressing the switch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WhiteBird!!

I've got the shop manual and Fred H's DVD's on my list of "to buy", but after coughing up the $600.00+ or so for the CB and all the other goodies I'm putting on I"m a bit short on cash for now.
I'm relying on help and pics from you all on this board to help. And the help has been aplenty! :clap2:

W

·
0 Posts
Do I connect the red and green wire together? I an confused. Thanks Buzz
No, you patch into the red with yellow wire ('06+) and run your patch wire to the light green with white wire at the turn signal cancel unit. Check the link in the first post for complete instructions.

Note: The reason for the changed wire colors is that the 01-05 models use the DISP switch to show temp (blue with yellow wire). The 06+ models still have the DISP button on Nav models (it's labelled Setup on non-Nav models) but they use a new button labelled INFO to show the temp and it has a red with yellow wire.

W

·
0 Posts
Ok So I take the red/yellow wire an connect to the turn signal wire. Good? Thanks Buzz
If you have an 06+ model you connect a jumper (patch) wire between the red/yellow switch wire and the light green/white turn signal cancel wire.

If you have an 01-05 model then you connect a jumper wire between the blue/yellow switch wire and the light green/white turn signal cancel wire.

In either case you have to be sure not to cut the existing wires - you're just adding a new connection between them.

W

·
0 Posts
Look at the photos in the original thread - the turn signal cancel unit is under that rubber cap that has the wires coming out of it. You'll find a small green 6-pin connector under the cap. The light green with white wire is in that connector.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ok! Here is what I am doing today . The dash is off I found the Red and yellow wire, I am going to connect to the bottom of the red and yellow wire . (there is more room there). Than I remove the rubber cap on the triple tree, unplug and on the left side, I found the light green & white wire spliced into that wire,than connect with a good quility connector and I am done. One more thing is it OK to use a larger wire to connect. Thanks for all the help with this project.I am just scared to cut wires. Buzz

W

·
0 Posts
Electrically, it is always okay to use a larger wire than required. The disadvantage is the relative lack of flexibilty and the space required for larger wire. But if you only have 16-gauge wire to splice into the 18-gauge factory wires, go ahead and use it - it will work fine.

W

·
0 Posts
Yes. Run a short piece of wire from the red/yellow wire at the switch panel to the light green/white wire at the T/S cancel unit. The short jumper wire should be connected at each end to the respective wires without breaking the original circuits (i.e. if you cut the wires to do the splicing, make sure you reconnect them).

The best way to make the connections is to splice, solder, and cover with heat-shrink tubing but a ScotchLock connector can be used if necessary.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Not having seen or been around an 06 up with its pants down I really cant say one way or the other on the wire color, and location on the dash panel, but if the red/yellow goes to the temp display switch it will work, like the early versions...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks for all the threads and posts on this subject. When it was originally posted I just couldn't get my brain wrapped around it. Now, with all the new posts and pictures I have been able to go back to the original thread and it all makes sense to me. I'll do this in the next couple of days. Thanks to everyone, especially George Patrick :bow:, for the idea and photos. This will make it easier and safer to check the temp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts