GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a CB and I need help in removing the shell from around the gas tank so I can route the wiring harness. I have already removed the plastic from around the speakers. I do not have a service manual. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can't help you much as you really need a book. I know it can be installed without removing the front half, you just have to lift it up to make a plug in. Wish I could help more, but I'm sure you will get the help you need very soon from this board. Good luck. Take your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth, I didn't remove it. I removed all the screws and couldn't figure it out either, so I snaked the wires through. you can flex the plastic quite a bit to get them through.

Just remember if it cracks you flexed it too far :)

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,

I was able to install the C.B with only minor difficulty. The hardest part was getting the faring to line up correctly during reassembly. Best of all no C.B. error message. Now just need to find somebody to talk to.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Removal of top cover

For anyone still reading this thread, who might be interested in how the top cover comes off:

You need to remove the molding strips on each side and below that are four 5mm hex bolts. Watch for the top as it's different than the rest when you remove it.

You also need to remove the instrument cover as that will give you access to two more hex bolts at top that hold the top over cover in place.

At the keyswitch, undo the two black phillips screws.

At the bottom and on the sides, undo the 10mm nuts, one per side.

Slowly life the cover up from the bottom, slowly, and reach to to the radio, seat side, and pull out the antenna lead from the left side.

Next, reach up in the front of the radio and feel the two large wiring connectors. Each one has a snap to push in to remove.

Make sure your handlebars are pointed strait, left cover cover up and back.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
CB install is a piece of cake it you follow the instructions and use the service manual.

Drilling the hole in the trunk is easy if you use the right size (5/8"??) wood "paddle" bit, then use a little Vaseline on the grommet.

The hardest part for me was finding the connection under the top-shelter. If I remember correctly the instructions showed it on the opposite side from where I found it. The darn connector looks like it is already plugged into something.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
One key fact hasn't been mentioned, if you are going to do any work on your bike, you really need to get a factory service manual, it is available at reasonable cost from the sponsor of this board, Honda Direct Line.

It pays for itself the first time you use it! :s27:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts