GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my 2010 goldwing, I love the bike, however as of right now it's just not comfortable for me, I am getting the burning feeling along with some pain in the top of my shoulders when I ride it, I am not sure where it's coming from if it's the footing position or the seat, I am coming off of a Honda VTX 1800F , where the forward controls were in front of me rather than right under me...However I am only 5' 5" so I am very limited as to what I can change according to the few people I have talked to...Was just wondering if anyone else has had this and what you did to remedy it..I appreciate any and all advice!!!!!!

Thanks
Angel

·
Registered
20 Posts
This has happened to me when I have first bought my Goldwings. First and best mod is a backrest. The Utopia Backrest is the best.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Pull Backs

Put pull backs on your handle barrs. This will bring the barrs back to a better position for you. JMO

Sonney

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am impressed that you can even handle a Wing being only 5'5".

It sounds like you are riding too rigid, too upright, maybe just too tight. Coming from a more relaxed riding position like the VTX, it is probably just the different position. You might want to try some risers to bring the handlebars and controls closer.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
comfort

Angel,

Congrats and welcome to the fun. The pain in the middle of the shoulders is typical of too much reach to the handle bars. I know that many have added risers to the hbs and it usually solves the problem (me included). If you haven't done so yet, a set of Fred Harmon's "entertainment" videos will pay for themseves very quickly. At your height, I suspect that the height of the seat might be concerning you too. If it is, resist the urge to lower the bike, at least until you've had a chance to get used to it. There will be others along with their takes on what to do, but I'm pretty sure that the consensus will be a set of risers.

Richard

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has happened to me when I have first bought my Goldwings. First and best mod is a backrest. The Utopia Backrest is the best.
Yeah I should have went witht he Utopia, I opted to go witht he Kuryakyn rider backrest..thinking I may sell it and go with the Utopia..Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put pull backs on your handle barrs. This will bring the barrs back to a better position for you. JMO

Sonney

Haven't looked at those, I am assuming I can get them from any aftermarket place?? and thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am impressed that you can even handle a Wing being only 5'5".

It sounds like you are riding too rigid, too upright, maybe just too tight. Coming from a more relaxed riding position like the VTX, it is probably just the different position. You might want to try some risers to bring the handlebars and controls closer.
LoL...5'5" and none the less female!!

Thanks, I think i will look into those!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Angel,

Congrats and welcome to the fun. The pain in the middle of the shoulders is typical of too much reach to the handle bars. I know that many have added risers to the hbs and it usually solves the problem (me included). If you haven't done so yet, a set of Fred Harmon's "entertainment" videos will pay for themseves very quickly. At your height, I suspect that the height of the seat might be concerning you too. If it is, resist the urge to lower the bike, at least until you've had a chance to get used to it. There will be others along with their takes on what to do, but I'm pretty sure that the consensus will be a set of risers.

Richard
Thanks Richard, going to look into those, as everyone seems to agree this will help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys just ordered a set of the Kury risers part number 7437, sure hope these help!!!:lol:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I just recently bought my 2010 goldwing, I love the bike, however as of right now it's just not comfortable for me, I am getting the burning feeling along with some pain in the top of my shoulders when I ride it, I am not sure where it's coming from if it's the footing position or the seat, I am coming off of a Honda VTX 1800F , where the forward controls were in front of me rather than right under me...However I am only 5' 5" so I am very limited as to what I can change according to the few people I have talked to...Was just wondering if anyone else has had this and what you did to remedy it..I appreciate any and all advice!!!!!!

Thanks
Angel
I just bought a 2010, and am looking at the Utopia backrest, which seems to be the highest rating. Hey, I love your passenger on the pillion. I always ride with my 27# Pug, Pugsley. I am adding AMA2006 Armrests, as well as the backrest to help enclose him better. He is strapped on with a harness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now that everyone has recommended the risers a little humor: Maybe the dog would be taller and have better luck:thumbup:. My Pug (Porsche) travels with me everywhere.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Risers and backrest, as others have said. You could try some highway pegs or boards (I like the boards) to change your leg position while on a long stretch of road.

You could ride a sport bike for awhile, then come back to the Wing to know what comfort is really all about (just kidding).

2W

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I always thought the egonomics of the GL18 Wing would be best suited to a 5' 5" person. Seems mighty cramped to me. I also ride a VTC 1300C with Ultimate seats and it truly is more comfy then the wing for the driver; not human passengers got it made in da shade on the Wing.

prs

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Another female Wing rider! Yea!!! I also had the dealership install handlebar risers.
Good for you. I've logged over 12000 miles this Summer, and have noticed a big increase in female riders!!:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a backrest, added forward pegs to give me a second/third position for my feet/legs, and I did the Kuryakyn handlebar setbacks. You can set them to raise or slightly lower the bars. plus they bring them back. Very solid, doesn't require the lines to be changed (others may not either, I don't know), and helped with my arms/shoulders on long trips.

You may also want to look into having your seat redone to lower you some if you need that, and set you back or forward depending on what you want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts