GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Delphi XM radio with a car adapter kit. I hooked the power supply to the accessory terminal next to the battery. I’m using the mini stereo plug that comes in the drivers front compartment and connecting using the radio’s auxiliary input.
My problem is noise,you can hear the motor running in the back ground. Has anyone installed and had such a problem? I did by a noise filter from Radio Shack that’s supposed to help, but it didn’t help.
I’m not sure I connected the filter in it’s proper location. I put it on the accessory terminal next to the battery. May be it should have been placed closer to the receiver to block the noise ?
Any suggestion, or experience would be most appreciated.

Marc

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need the ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, it goes in line with the Aux connector. Than solved all the problems for me. I also noticed you used the small swivel adapter that came with the SkiFi. It only lasted about 50 miles for me, before the small ball broke off. the wiring saved it for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ground Loop Isolators & Filters

When I installed the Roady on my GL1800, I had to use both a ground-loop isolator on the power side and a filter on the audio input to the radio to get rid of the hum or buz. Electrical Connection sells both as simple plug-n-play devices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank’s you guys for the speedy replies, and all the good advice .

I’ll be calling Hal over at Honda Direct Line for that link you sent me.
Never even thought about talking to the Pro’s over at Hal’s place, and the Pro’s online here.
This is the first time I’ve ask for help on your Form.

Thanks again,
Marc

Lewis, I like your affirmation, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Marc - Nice looking instalation. I had same probelm, fixed with same solution. This winter I also noticed than when I had the Honda heated grips on at low level and up, I also got static. If I continue to ride with the grips on I will contact Lewis and get the plug and play filter. So if you use heated grips you may also consider getting this filter also. I also like my xm very much, used it all the way to the top of the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia lst summer and worked great. Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts