GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the DEZL anytime the GW is moving, and keep it paired with my phone and SENA-10. I recently noticed it stores all incoming phone calls into its' phone book under, "contacts". The problem is, when I get a scam cal, it is stored under 'S' in contacts, and I must have about 500 there now. There are so many, it takes forever to scroll past 'S', there are pages and pages of, "scam call".

I checked my phone and the scam calls are not stored there, at least not that I can find. I red the DEZL owner's manual, and it has nothing on this issue.

Anyone have any idea how to delete the kajillion scam calls stored in contacts?

Thanks

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have the Garmin DEZL 770LMTHD. I read thru my manual and online help. According to both, the GPS doesn't store the contacts. They are stored on your phone, and imported every time you connect your phone to your GPS. It even states, that if you have an extensive phone book and history, it will take some time to import all the contacts.

Although they are not stored on your phone as actual contacts, they are stored in your calling history. That is possibly where they are located. Try to locate your call history on your phone, and remove them from there.

Hope that helps.

It may help, if you mention which DEZL you are using, and what phone. It may be of further help for an exact remedy.

Doc...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deal 770 and Samsung Galaxy S7.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Same combo I have, except it's the S7 Edge.

By pressing the phone icon in the lower corner, it will bring up your phone menu. It will have 2 tabs at the top. Recent and Contacts. The recent is where it stores all your recent calls and texts (may be hidden in the sub menu, 3 dots, upper right corner). If you are willing to experiment, delete all of your recent call history, then pair it back with your Garmin. That should eliminate the phone transferring all of your recent history to your Garmin.

Hope this helps...
Doc

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same combo I have, except it's the S7 Edge.

By pressing the phone icon in the lower corner, it will bring up your phone menu. It will have 2 tabs at the top. Recent and Contacts. The recent is where it stores all your recent calls and texts (may be hidden in the sub menu, 3 dots, upper right corner). If you are willing to experiment, delete all of your recent call history, then pair it back with your Garmin. That should eliminate the phone transferring all of your recent history to your Garmin.

Hope this helps...
Doc
I had already done that, and usually delete them all about once per week. I know there are other numbers stored in the phone; when I open to create a new contact, when I type SC it brings up several dozen numbers labeled, "Scam Likely". I am pretty sure those (and others with similar labels) are the ones clogging up the Dezl but cannot figure out how to delete them out of the phone. I can only glimpse them by faking the creation of a new contact, as explined. When I click on one of those 'scam likely' labeled numbers, it offers me an opportunity to relabel them and recategorize them in my contacts, but does not offer a delete option.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sorry I didn't have the entire answer for you. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this. I will continue to investigate this for my own satisfaction.

One thing for sure, as I mentioned earlier, your entire phone book, call history etc. is imported from your phone each time you connect to your Dezl. It is removed from the GPS each time you disconnect. So, the issue is where this info is retained on your phone, and how to remove it.

Doc...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't have the entire answer for you. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this. I will continue to investigate this for my own satisfaction.

One thing for sure, as I mentioned earlier, your entire phone book, call history etc. is imported from your phone each time you connect to your Dezl. It is removed from the GPS each time you disconnect. So, the issue is where this info is retained on your phone, and how to remove it.

Doc...
Just sorting it out between phone and Dezl is helpful. Now I know which I need to focus on. I also discovered if I go to contacts and click on groups, I have 156, "Not Assigned" groups, and can see the same logo as on the scam likely numbers. So I guess they are all landing there, but how to access and delete them remains a mystery.
Thanks Much

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, I did some research, and you will not like the answer I've found.

Apparently this is only an issue for Android users. The unassigned group cannot be removed from your groups. And unlike your contacts, where you can long hold on a contact to highlight it, then quickly delete it, it's much more involved to remove it from the unassigned group.

The unassigned group is basically a list of any contact that you've dealt with in some form. Phone call (incoming or outgoing), messaging, e-mails or any other social contact.

Two ways to deal with it are as follows:

Create a group and label it as SPAM or such. Then go thru each spam contact and assign it to the SPAM group. Once in the SPAM group, you can highlight the 1st one, then press the SELECT ALL at the top to highlight all contacts in that group, then DELETE.

The second option is to go into the unassigned group, then click on the contact you wish to delete. You should get 3 options, one of which is to SEE DETAILS. Click on that, then press the 3 button menu in the upper right, and finally DELETE CONTACT. You'll have to do this for all 500ish of your spam contacts. This will remove them from the unassigned group, and finally from syncing with your GPS.

Final note, and perhaps the 1st thing you need to look at, is the program (or app) that you are using that is labeling the calls as spam. When it labels it as spam, it's creating the contact in your phone book, and identifying it with the spam label. Perhaps there is an option within that program for it to not create the contact, and simply reject the call.

I can look further into it if you would mention the app you are using as your spam blocker.

Hope this continues to help you.....
Doc

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Had phone connected to my Zumo for about a month but it caused waaaaay more trouble than it was worth so I finally disconnected it and everything works the way it’s supposed to now.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "not assigned" group has the same symbol as the symbol shown beside each scam call, says there are 156 members. But when I click on that group it only brings up my (54) legit contacts. If I go to contacts, it brings up the same 54, which is as it should. I have no idea where the 102 other, scam callers are at within the not assigned group, but the only way I can see them is to, as mentioned before, begin to create a contact and when I enter Sc in the name, it prompts the list of scam calls. However, it will not allow me to do anything with those scam calls, except to view them. It offers no 3 dots, or other icons to click on. I found on youtube those are called, "view only contacts", and supposedly they are nearly impossible to delete.

If this is an android only problem, it may be the deal breaker that forces me to go to apple, as my wife and kids have been using since day one. I'd gladly, "do the work" you suggest above and delete them one by one, but the system will only allow me to view them. An unbelievable glitch for android users, that only surfaces as a problem when using blue tooth, I guess.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Pretty much what I've been learning also. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Because I don't use mine for the phone, I haven't had this problem. I do use the Garmin connect app to receive enhanced traffic information, weather and radar. But since I'm still tethered by a cord, I don't use my phone while riding.

I've personally mulled over upgrading to where I could use my phone while riding. But I'm in the group that asks, "WHY"? The point of riding to me is to leave all that behind. And point of fact, I have an auto message, like that of the "Driving, DND" that replies "Out riding". And I only look at my phone at the end of the day. For me, I'm afforded the luxury of not needing to be in contact with the world at all times. I understand those that need to be able to be reached when out. I'm not here to inspire a debate about it. To each their own.

I hope someone else can chime in that there is actually a solution to this, but at this time it doesn't appear to be. And you may have to consider switching to iOS vs Android.

Good Luck!
Doc

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE: I discovered I can manipulate the scam call contacts by clicking on each one, individually to, "update contact". I then change the name to Likely Scam, and transfer it from the not assigned group to my contacts group, but then, it does not appear there. It's as if the scam calls are like viruses, deliberately hiding. When found, the system does not actually allow me to do anything with them. I also found a bunch under, "Suspected Spam".

My scam call screener is provided by T-Mobile and they may be the ones creating this problem. I plan to contact them and cancel the service immediately. Initially the service was offered for a 30 day trial period, then a monthly fee. I did not opt in after the 30 day period (over a year ago), but the service is still in my phone. Not sure how I will get them to remove it, but will discuss with them.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
UPDATE: I discovered I can manipulate the scam call contacts by clicking on each one, individually to, "update contact". I then change the name to Likely Scam, and transfer it from the not assigned group to my contacts group, but then, it does not appear there. It's as if the scam calls are like viruses, deliberately hiding. When found, the system does not actually allow me to do anything with them. I also found a bunch under, "Suspected Spam".

My scam call screener is provided by T-Mobile and they may be the ones creating this problem. I plan to contact them and cancel the service immediately. Initially the service was offered for a 30 day trial period, then a monthly fee. I did not opt in after the 30 day period (over a year ago), but the service is still in my phone. Not sure how I will get them to remove it, but will discuss with them.

Thanks again
Joe, if you do decide to go to an IPhone their are some good discounts now on IPhones since they just released 3 new models and are trying to clear out inventory on the older phones.

Reactions: JoeHall
1 - 13 of 13 Posts