GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I am trying to do, and I find it damn near impossible. I want to plan a route from Washington DC to Asheville, NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I cannot find any way to simply "draw" the route I want to take without the program taking over and "snapping" the route back to other highways. I have tried setting the road preferences, but this is a real pain in the butt when you know which road you want to take.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Chris try this with Mapsourse. Make waypoints along the route that you want to go. When you have made your last waypoint, in the menu block on the left side of the page click on waypoints to open all your waypoints. Click on the first waypoint then hold down your shift key, click on the last waypoint this will high light all the waypoints. Click your right mouse button you will see an option to create a route using the waypoints. That should force Mapsourse to give you the route that you want.

·
Registered
871 Posts
BB5,

Two things might help:

1. Try choosing smaller distances with the routing tool. If you limit MS to one option for a route segment it can only choose the one you want. I know this is tedious, but you will get exactly the route you want. Also be sure you click on the correct direction of travel on a divided highway. Otherwise you get a lot of "u-turns". If you make a mistake just hit "Crtl-z" to undo the last section and try again.

2. You can adjust a misdirected route with the selection tool. You can "Grab" the route and drag it to the road you want. MS will then recalculate to your new via point.

Number 2 can also be a bit frustrating as well, so best bet is number 1...

Good luck!

Lance

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Good advice from Themobb. If you use the route tool you can simply drop points on whatever raod you want by clicking. If you click and it picks the wrong road, just use the Undo command in the Edit menu and pick a shorter distance.

I just created the route you are interested in. It only took me about 5 minutes and I had to undo a couple of times. If you give me specific start and end points, I can build the route and email it to you if you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like k9kop, I go through my route and make waypoints first.

With Mapsource, I create waypoints between intersections on the backroads that I want to travel.

I have noticed that sometimes, when making intersections my waypoints, that the program takes over and routes me on interstates/highways when I don't want to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
One of the features about Microsoft Streets and Trips that I like when creating a route is the ability to change from "quickest" to "shortest" between each stop or via. In other words, there are sections of the trip when you want to take the interstate so you use "quickest" and other legs of the trip where "shortest" is more to your liking.

I can't find a way to do that with Mapsource unless you build a separate route. Am I correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
720 Posts
You can drag the route in Mapsource to go where you like.

Ed.. :roll:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
rooksd1 said:
Ed How do you drag the route? Thanks
Make a route.
Switch to the selection tool (the arrow).
Click on the route and it will turn yellow.
Click on the route again.

As you move the cursor you will see two straight black lines. Those lines will be attached to a small black square on either side of where you clicked on the route. The lines will move with the cursor. When you click on a new street, Mapsource will auto route you through the newly selected point using the two black squares as start and end points for the new section.

If you created your route by inputting just the start and end points, those two points will be the only points in the route and this "drag and drop" process wil be more cumbersome. As you drag though, more points will be created and thus easier to manipulate.

Mapsource is not user friendly. Once you get used to the conventions it's not that bad. I wish I could hold a class and this explanation would seem much simpler.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you are running a current version of Map Source, I have 6.9, 6.11 is available for (free) download, there is a way to have Map Source choose your road preference. Under the "Edit" menu select "preferences" and then the route tab, you will see "avoidance" buttons and a slider to slect the type of road you prefer to route.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks Rastoff. When will you start giving classes? :D

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
luckyman said:
Thanks Rastoff. When will you start giving classes? :D
Anytime you're ready. Just come on over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts