GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of installing my Utopia backrest. Got everything cut and bolted on but I have a couple of questions about the Quick-Out Backrest installation.

If anyone that reads this post has installed the Quick-Out Backrest Bar......please email me or send me a telephone number that I can call you at. Like I said ....I'm in the middle of doing the install and really would like to finish it tomorrow...rather than having to wait until Monday morning and calling Bob at Utopia. My questions are fairly simple...just want to make sure we have everything correct before we put the seat back on.

Thanks.

Denny Jaecks

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
How about posting your questions here? Someone may be able to answer them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about posting your questions here? Someone may be able to answer them.
It would take way too much writing to list my question/s and then I most likely wouldn't be able to explain it well enough so others would know what I'm referring to when I post it.

If worst comes to worst and I don't get any replies....I'll just have to wait until Monday morning and call Bill at Utopia.

Thanks for the reply though.

Denny

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Probably ought to call on Monday then. It is a simple installation.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably ought to call on Monday then. It is a simple installation.
Got everything done except not sure of what the purpose of the Retaining Ball Plunger on the bracket is for among other things.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Is that not to serve as a detent to secure the backrest to the seat? I can go look if that does not seem to be the answer. Is that not to serve as a detent to secure the backrest to the seat? I can go look if that does not seem to be the answer.

I did go to look. The square bar goes into the square hole which should end up slightly under the surface of the seat. The other piece that has the female square hole just bolts to the seat pan and as the instructions say "no adjustment". That is used to tweak on the distance to to the top of the seat if, for instance, it was not mounted correctly. I only say correctly as a purpose of discussion. Obviously the piece that mounts to the pan can sit too high relative to the top of the seat to snap the flap, or too low for the backrest to snap into. I sure hope this helps

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that not to serve as a detent to secure the backrest to the seat? I can go look if that does not seem to be the answer. Is that not to serve as a detent to secure the backrest to the seat? I can go look if that does not seem to be the answer.

I did go to look. The square bar goes into the square hole which should end up slightly under the surface of the seat. The other piece that has the female square hole just bolts to the seat pan and as the instructions say "no adjustment". That is used to tweak on the distance to to the top of the seat if, for instance, it was not mounted correctly. I only say correctly as a purpose of discussion. Obviously the piece that mounts to the pan can sit too high relative to the top of the seat to snap the flap, or too low for the backrest to snap into. I sure hope this helps
I'm still not following what the retainer ball plunger is really for? Why would they bother to put a bolt with a ball on the end of it for pretty much no reason?

Everything fits flush with the seat. Nothing exposed when seat is removed. Also....since the only thing that keeps the backrest from falling off is the female bar....is it common then that when I push the backrest forward for wife to get on to passenger seat....that the backrest is going to rise up in the female bar? What if anything keeps seat from coming out? AND....if I decide that I probably should not have bothered with the Quick-Out(more trouble than it's worth).....can I just line the indent hole and screw up....lock-tite the screw and crank it down in the hole.....thus removing the quick-out option or do I contact Bill at Utopia and ask him to send me the standard hardware?

·
Registered
627 Posts
For those of us that do not have the "quick out" installed, has anyone ever removed the bolt that holds the back rest onto the base and installed a pin and could be pulled out allowing the backrest to be removed? If so what size pin would be needed?
I did not mean to hi-jack your thread...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bolt/ball is to set the amount of resistance. The backrest will not come out unless you intentionally pull it out. Its very rare that I need to pull mine off, but its nice to have that option.
So do I just tighten the bolt so it is snug against the bar? But why the indented hole in the bar? Also....what is to stop the bolt from backing out due to riding/vibration and taking tension off the bar? The bolt turns fairly easy. Should I locktite it once I have it where I think it should be?

You also said the backrest will not come out unless I pull it out. But there is nothing that keeps it in other than the female part of the quick-out....correct? Just slides down into the channel?

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Got mine done at WingDing. 20 minutes out the door. Easy on/off back rest. Not that I trust myself, but...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts