GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new rear tire on my '12 wing on Sat. afternoon and when I put it in reverse it wouldn't do anything, so I put it back in neutral and back to reverse and it still wouldn't do anything, so I went back to "N" and back to reverse and it worked fine. I didn't ride anywhere that day because of heavy rain , but took it out on Sunday and had the same issue , but I only had to go back to "N" once and then it worked fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Reverse buttons usually get stuck in the engaged position, but maybe is possible to get one to hang in the off position. The neutral position indicator light is coming on when in neutral; right? If not, the neutral switch could be flubbed. The mechanical mechanism can get really dirty too, perhaps clean it with WD-40 aerosol and then lube with tefelon/silicone spray; but you should hear it try to engage if that is in a bind.

What does the tire change have to do with it? Are you using reverse to lock the rear tire during lug nut removal and replacement? If so, I suggest using first gear and a wedge to apply the peddle brake instead.

prs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
neutral light works like it's supposed too. I mentioned the tire change simply because it had never occurred until right after the change. I didn't know if it was just a coincidence or if it had happened to someone before.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
neutral light works like it's supposed too. I mentioned the tire change simply because it had never occurred until right after the change. I didn't know if it was just a coincidence or if it had happened to someone before.
You didn't happen to have the side stand down? It won't move in reverse if the stand is down by design. If it was up the whole time, and the WD40 doesn't help the cables, then they may need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
My WD suggestion was NOT for cables, but rather the double spring loaded mechanical shifter that the cables operate. I don't trust coincidence; but I don't have an answer for you, yet.

prs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts