GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2008 this piece in the picture (handlebar center cover) refuses to come out and I can't get a screw out.

Do I really need this piece? I assume its for looks. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Is that the black plastic piece that covers both fork caps, has two screws holding it on?

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are you using a JIS screwdriver? If you are using a regular Phillip's head and its tight, you will end up stripping out the head and will be next to impossible without drilling it out.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Is that the black plastic piece that covers both fork caps, has two screws holding it on?
I'm lost !!! It looks like near the ignition switch.

To the OP ... can you back the camera out so we can see what you are referring too ???

The year is often helpful too !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm guessing he is referring to item #24 on the fiche - they can be a real pain to get out and back in again... I've stripped one myself in days gone bye...

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that's it. They think a lot of it....over $30 for that plastic cover! Lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing he is referring to item #24 on the fiche - they can be a real pain to get out and back in again... I've stripped one myself in days gone bye...

View attachment 333739
Yes its the #24 screw and the handlebar center cover I'm trying to get off.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Both screws for the handle bar cover must be removed for the handle bar cover to come off.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I finally made sense out of your picture. I couldn't figure out what that collar is for. It the lower mount point for your dash cluster ... dahhh !!!

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Thanks Greg, I'm just going to cut it off
I usually remove the 4 mount bolts for the dash cluster, and use bailing wire to tie the dash cluster up towards the windscreen vent. Once the dash cluster is out of the way, turn the bars for better access to the screws for the handle bar cover. I don't think I've ever needed an impact driver to remove those screws, but that could be needed. It greatly helps to have a #2 JIS bit.

Many times I have to tap out those holes and run a die over the screw threads. Without looking I believe they are a 5mm x 80 thread.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually remove the 4 mount bolts for the dash cluster, and use bailing wire to tie the dash cluster up towards the windscreen vent. Once the dash cluster is out of the way, turn the bars for better access to the screws for the handle bar cover. I don't think I've ever needed an impact driver to remove those screws, but that could be needed. It greatly helps to have a #2 JIS bit.

Many times I have to tap out those holes and run a die over the screw threads. Without looking I believe they are a 5mm x 80 thread.
Thanks Greg I finally got it! That handle bar cover was a PITA but I finally got it out, disconnected the 3 wires and it went smooth then. Now when I started it the clutch didnt feel right. As the clutch was disengaged it was barely trying to pull. The cables have plenty of slack so I dont know what to make of it

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks y'all for all the help, I finally got it and boy it was worth it. Just what the doctor ordered!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes its the #24 screw and the handlebar center cover I'm trying to get off.
Try a real long Phillips screw driver and turn the handlebars extreme left or right - that cuts down on the angle a bit... You might get it out if it's not too badly stripped, otherwise you may have to drill the head off and replace the screw...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts