GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just, two weeks ago, got the IPOD 30Gb, which I believe is a brand new design. With the mild weather in my area recently, I had a couple of chances to try it out on the 1800. I hooked it up with the bike feed located in the fairing left pocket. The problem is the sound is way too soft, and even with 1800 loudest dailed up to 30, I still just bearly hear it, though the speaker, or the headset. Now I did for this past year have a lot cheaper Ipod hooked up, after I got used to it, sounded loud enough, and very clear. Am I forgeting to do something, or is there some other piece of equipment that I need to buy. Any ideas from other members that has already been though this would be great. Thank you for any possible help.

And of course, ride safe when it warms up.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Did you push the AUX button after you connected it? Also be sure the volume is set to max on the Ipod itself so you have the full range of volume avaliable to you.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I would bet it is one of the above items that is causing you problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOUD enough

Just rode from Conn to Florida and back on 06 with IPOD running all the time. Check that volume control on IPOD is up all the way. I normally run it at 25-28 at "HIGHWAY SPEEDS". It is plenty loud on my older 2001 and new 2006 wings...

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
The new Ipods have a volume limiter built into them. Fortunately, it is adjustable. All you need to do is go into the menu setting and find the volume limit setting and make sure it is turned all the way up.

Click here to see the full instructions from Apple on how to set it.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... 03414#ipod

·
Registered
705 Posts
goldwing2000

Here is something you need to take into consideration.Output volume is a direct result of two things. Recorded volume of the Music track you have loaded on your player and the capability of your audio system.

Pre 2006 Wings have a 35W system with 15W 3 Ohm speakers. I have been thru this issue more times than I can remember.

What i have done is raise the volume output on my MP3/WMA files to 96-97Db. In many cases depending on the source of your music the tracks can be recorded from 85-105Db

Even if you turn your player up to max and the bike system up to max you may or may not get the output volume you are looking for.

Like I have set on previous post I have 1300+ Cd's sound edited and out put adjusted to play on the bike.

I have been going thru this process for 3+ years. IF you sound adjust your tracks for your player it will solve your output volume problem in most cases.

Also accept the fact that you are only going to get so much out of a 5 inch speaker.

What I do is simple. I up the output level on mp3's with a simple free program called Mp3 Gain (Free off the Net)

Even then you should run your Bike system AVC at high.

Beware every track is recorded a little different. If you add sound enhancement off the player like Pop, Rock, Jazz etc (Equalizer) you will get a different sound and volume. If you start adding in ambience off the bike system it will change it again.

Sometimes the player and the bike system fight each other. Some songs will sound better with no bike ambience and many will sound better with low ambience or none.

You have to experiment sometimes each song requires a little tweaking when you play it. Thats just the way it is.

You can add 2 rear speakers really helps and mod your front speakers. Hear again I learned this the hardway. Get 3 Ohm speakers that is what the pre 2006 system is tuned too. If you get 4 Ohm speakers you will get less performance. J & M sells a 105W 3Ohm speaker set designed for the wing for $69.00.

I have had 3 sets of speakers in the front of this bike and always ended up going back to the OEM speakers because they sounded better. The speakers I tried were all 4 Ohm until I figued out the problem.

The new J & M's will go in the bike in the spring.

This works fine with MP3 tracks but will have no effect on Am/Fm audio output esp on pre 2006 because no matter what you do you are still only able to put out 35W peak.

2006-2007 are different they have an 80W system

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts