GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trip I have planned to Nova Scotia with my boys is in jeopardy of not happening due to an intermittent problem with my 2008 ABS Navi. Today while riding the interstate in 85 degree weather, the bike suddenly lost all power and acted as if it had run out of fuel. After pulling off the road, I tried to restart and although the motor turned over normally, it did not start. After sitting for a few minutes and jiggling the ignition and kill switch, the bike started normally. When the bike shut down, I had all normal lights and indicators. This happened again about 10 minutes later and a couple times after that.
The only thing that seemed to get the bike started was sitting for a few minutes. Jiggling the ignition and kill switch did nothing. I also loosened the gas cap thinking a pinched gas tank vent but no difference. I checked battery connections and main ground, all good. Local dealer just told me they could run diagnostics no sooner than August 22. All reservations are made for this trip my boys, we are scheduled to leave on Saturday. I did notice that a couple of times, the bike shut down after a sharp bump in the road. Could this be a bank sensor issue? Or ?????? Needless to say I'm desperate to get to the bottom of this and save the trip. Help, please.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
TechDude2000 and/or Fred H. and/or GoldWingGreg will come to ur rescue

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Is your FI light illuminated?
Then check yourself for diagnostic codes.
With the engine running, in neutral, lower your side stand.
Count the flashes of the FI light.
One long flash =10
Add the short flashes to the 10.
I'm thinking you'll get code 19 (one long + 9 short flashes), crankshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What about something simple like a fuel filter getting clogged up? It could starve for gas and then sitting for a while would allow it to fill the line up and start again.
Also, I would be calling all dealers with in 100 miles and seeing what they can do for you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
While waiting on the expert Wing guys,, a couple questions.
How long had you been riding when it died? (minutes,, hours)
When was the last refuel?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
What about something simple like a fuel filter getting clogged up? It could starve for gas and then sitting for a while would allow it to fill the line up and start again.
Also, I would be calling all dealers with in 100 miles and seeing what they can do for you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No fuel filter

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
With engine running tap top of kill switch, if engine stops, open cluster and clean kill switch with contact cleaner
Also with bike off exercise the emergency shut off for several minutes to clean the the honda grease off the contact if that doesn’t work then clean or replace.. if that is the cause. There was a thread here a little over a year or so when a member took his bike to be serviced and apparently the tech used that switch to turn bike off. As I recall he pretty much has the same issues.. best of luck..

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
With it on its center stand, and in "N", start the bike. Then tap on the kill switch, to see if the engine will die. Then grab the kill switch and rock it forward and aft, then left to right. The only acceptable time for that switch to kill the engine is when it is rotated to either "off" positions.

Can you get it to die ???

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Trying to help, had a 1500 with a side stand switch failure once. Hard to find sitting on it’s side stand for diagnosing.

Techdude may ask about the C5 connector under the seat. His sticky on it is great reading.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot get the motor to die by tapping or wiggling the kill switch, and after it stalls out on the road, it turns over completely normally except it does not start. If the kill switch was the culprit, would it allow the motor to turn over? I do not have a flashing F1. Could a faulty fuel pump relay be a possibility?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing that gets the bike started after one of it's shut-offs is waiting a few minutes and then hitting the starter. After a few tries it will start normally, and then run normally for a period of time; some times 10 minutes and sometimes for the balance of the ride. The problem does seem to manifest itself in high ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I would have the seat off, run it to have it act up, and check which component (fuel or spark) quit on you. Then go from there. Things to check while waiting could be fuel pump amp draw, watch amp draw as it’s running to learn. Check spark plug wires in the dark with water mist looking for spark loss (could be coils). Good luck.

Forgot about the ground locations. Confirm good ground contact.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Greg, could the side stand switch cause a problem?
If it's in gear, a bad side stand switch, or if the side stand was lowered when in gear, yes it will cause a 5th gen to die. But if that happens, the starter will not spin.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
The only thing that gets the bike started after one of it's shut-offs is waiting a few minutes and then hitting the starter. After a few tries it will start normally, and then run normally for a period of time; some times 10 minutes and sometimes for the balance of the ride. The problem does seem to manifest itself in high ambient temperatures.
When you turn the key on, does the FI light come on for about 3 seconds and then go out ???

When you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump run for about 5 secs ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, F1 light comes on for a couple seconds and then goes out like normal. I have not listened for the fuel pump to come on when trying to start immediately after a shutdown episode. I am taking the bike out now to see if I can get it to shutdown. If it does, I'll listen for fuel pump power prior to trying to start. I did switch the fuel pump relay with the horn relay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rode it for an hour and of course, no shutdown. Crossing my fingers and heading for Nova Scotia, I hope.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts