GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read that going west from Buffalo WY on US Hwy 16 about 25 miles and then turning south on County Road 33 takes you to Crazy Woman Canyon.

I've read that this is a one-lane road which takes you down and through the canyon. The trip is described as "spectacular with sections of sheer rock walls nearby on both sides of the road. Vehicles larger than a SUV or pickup are not permitted. It is a truly beautiful drive."

Have any of you been on this gravel road, either on a m/c or auto? Assuming the roadbed is dry, how difficult is it (would it be) riding 2 up? I won't do anything foolhardy but don't want to miss anything if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give. It's too cold to ride now but a great time to plan m/c trips for next summer.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My original post indicates I "joined" this BB today. Actually, I've been here since the summer of '01. I tried to enter my post but for some reason, I couldn't get logged in to this new format (incidentally, I like the new look). So, I "rejoined". Hope this doesn't cause problems for the Boss of the Board.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mike, As I Recall...

The drive was spectacular. I drove it in a car several years ago. As I remember, it was a fairly good road but a bit washboardy - often. Also, I drove it in the summer and it was pretty dry at the time, which released billows of dust behind me. Plan to find a car wash in Buffalo when you make it through. Also, be wary of fast approaching thunderstorms - a gully washer can come up unexpectedly and really create problems.

You must watch for vehicles coming from the other direction, especially around the blind curves with the rock face on each side of the road. And if you pull over and listen closely, legend has it you can actually hear the Crazy Woman wailing.

All in all, it is truly a great experience, as are many other places around that area. If you go on up the Big Horn Mountains west from Buffalo, head for Ten Sleep. Great camping in the area and another spectacular ride. Stop at Dirty Sally's (an old corner drug store) in Ten Sleep and try some homemade ice cream.

Enjoy and ride safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts