GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, We have sold our GL1500. We have found a used GL1800 but it doesn't have a trailer hitch. We will need one when we pull our
trailer.
I have looked at the following hitches for the GL1800. Add On , Big Bike and Rivco (Aluminum). I like the Rivco Alum. because of the weight. The Add On hitch looks like it would be fairy easy to install. The Big Bike hitch is like the one I installed on our GL1500. I would like to hear from you folks. If you were in the market for a trailer hitch, what one would you install? Thanks for any Info you can give me on helping me make my decision.... Thanks Larry

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hitch

Looked around and decided on the Bushtec v-2 for our 2008 wing.

Came with everything, isolator, mud flap and harness.

Liked the design and it was easy to install.

Good Luck.

txs, F

·
Registered
156 Posts
I too went with the Bushtec v-2, I didn't want to cut the tupperware to get the hitch through,

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the Add On on my bike and Gary has the Bushtec on his. I installed mine and he installed his. They are similar in that they both have a center section that can be unbolted to remove the rear tire when on the center stand. Gary told me his install went fairly easy.

I had a bit of a problem with the Add on when I installed it. The removeable center section bolt holes didn't match up well. I got three started, but needed Gary's muscle to line up the 4th bolt. Other than that it was an easy install. I did get the Bushtec Wiring Harness, as the Add On one needed "additional" items to make it work. Both were advertized as being an Isolated Wiring Harness, which is what I wanted.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have the Add On brand and left all the bolts loose until I had the rear center section bolts started and tightened..
I then tightened all the other bolts.
I have changed several tires since the install and haven't had any trouble pulling just the center section for tire changes and getting it back in place without any trouble..

I also bought the Add On Trailer Isolation harness..it was a plug and play..you just run a power/ground wires up to the battery and you are done.. http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7250&str=4&ID=242468203

Mine installed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i've installed many add-on hitches the past three years...most value in a hitch...customers pull all types motorcycle trailers from heavy campers (loaded) to lite cargo units...no issues with any of the hitches...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Hi All, We have sold our GL1500. We have found a used GL1800 but it doesn't have a trailer hitch. We will need one when we pull our
trailer.
I have looked at the following hitches for the GL1800. Add On , Big Bike and Rivco (Aluminum). I like the Rivco Alum. because of the weight. The Add On hitch looks like it would be fairy easy to install. The Big Bike hitch is like the one I installed on our GL1500. I would like to hear from you folks. If you were in the market for a trailer hitch, what one would you install? Thanks for any Info you can give me on helping me make my decision.... Thanks Larry
Bushtec v-2 is the only way to go!

Wait until the sponsor of this site has a sale, and buy one from Hal.

Here's the link to help you along...

http://www.directlineparts.com/byBrand.asp?brd=Bushtec&str=4&ID=760350045

:congrats: on your new 'Wing!

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Since he did not state what year used wing he was getting be aware that the Bushtec V1 will not fit 06 and newer bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.