GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I need a little help in order to install a "back off" brake light modulator on my '01 1800. Under the seat there is a bundle of wires and one of them is for the brake lights, I just don't know which one.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
brake light switch

Charlie G.
The wire you are looking for is green with a red stripe thru it.
JD
:biker:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There are 2 green wires with red tracers. One is in a small connector and the other in a larger connector. Both are for the brake lights but the one in the small connector is for the spoiler brake light only. If you splice into that one then only the spoiler light will flash. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to make sure

On the Back Off brake light modulator install, is the proper "Green wire with Red stripe" the one that also has some grey or silver dashes on it"? And is it the one in the large bundle to the very rear of the under seat area that passes through a large grey connector with a bunch of other wires?

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK Gang
Got it all taken care of. And the previous posts were correct. It is the Green wire with the red stripe. I had gotten a bit confused from reading some old posts where everyone said it was this wire, but Lean 2(i think) had said something about a different wire coming out of the relay bunch. So I went with the wire most mentioned, and it works like a charm!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sounds like you may want to invest in a test light or multi-meter. All you needed for this job was a test light with a sharp point. You could have pushed the point into the connector then pulled the brake lever to verify that you had the correct wire.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Or, and I only offer this for informational purposes, if you had done a search on this forum for "back off" or "modulator", you would have seen the note from wrenchead that detailed the installation complete with pictures.

I have that one tucked away for when I get "my" back off modulator. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back Off Brake Modulator

Hey Dallas Scoot, I'm Lean 2 the guy who hooked up to the GRN/YEL wire going into the Blue relay box which is the middle section of the relay cluster in front of the rear fender. I was never able to get the GRN/RED wire hookup to work for me. With it wired the way I have it both the trunk brake and saddlebag brake lights modulate. Does this work the same on your hookup, or does only one set of the brake lights modulate? It just seems odd to me that I could not get the GRN/RED hookup to work if most everyone else did. I referred to the Brake Lights Circuit schematic in the Electric Troubleshooting Manual section 9-0, I connected at location 16 on that page. This is between both the front and rear brake light switches and that blue stop light relay box. Mainly I was just curious if both sets of brake lights are modulating for you GRN/RED hookup guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Lean 2
Yep, mine works just great with that Green/Red wire. But I was really hesitant to cut into it after reading your post. But after looking at what I would have to do with the wiring going and coming into the relay you used, I decided to give it a try first as it looked a bit easier. And all four of my brake lights respond to the modulator. You must have had something else out of whack when you were trying the Green/Red wire, or maybe there is more than one back there.
The wiring harness's on this thing looks like something out of the Space Shuttle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts