GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the short spring off the HF trailer? The one with the 8 in tires. :?:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have taken the center spring off several units. This allows for more spring in the main spring with less load. It all depends on your load. If you are like me you probably will not be hauling over 150/200 lbs and the longer center spring still gives too much suspension, so I remove it and keep the shorter one. JMHO Geoge

G

·
Help needed :?:

Now that I have a trike, I am starting to seriously consider pulling a trailer. I have looked at a lot off them, comparing specs and prices. They range from the Harbor Freight/Sears Xcargo box to the Tailwind. From $300 to $7000.

One thing I don’t want to do is buy something and regret it later, for whatever reason. It’s just that $4000+ seems a lot to pay for a pretty box to haul stuff around in. In other words, I don’t want to but the MCTXL for $1600 and later wish I had spent more and bought the Bushtec or CSC or Hannigan. Nor do I want to spend $4000 and later wish I had bought something cheaper.

One consideration is the DIY. If I build my own using the Harbor Freight trailer and Sears box – unless I go to the extreme measures this guy did - I wouldn’t have over $300 in it. If I decided later I wanted something more expensive, buy it and sell the homemade one. One thing that bothers me about the HF trailer is that the manual (for both the 8" and 12" wheels) says “Do not exceed 45mph with this trailer.” This doesn’t bother those that have one though. They take off the wheels and re-pack the bearings and drive 100mph without worrying about it.
Take a look at this home made one. This is picture # 72 in his photo album.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... gmount.jpg

I think he made his from one of the HF trailers and a Sears box. If you look at his pictures he really did a fine job on this rig. He even added shocks. It turned out really well. I have no idea what his final cost was but I would think he probably doesn’t have $500 in it and it really looks nice.

What I can't find are good instructions as to what the guys building HFs do. I have read about narrowing the trailer 4" but I don't know why or how. Someone posted a link where I found this post and this picture but I couldn't find good instructions. Can anyone point me to a post or posts that give a good explanation of the how and why of building this trailer.

Thanks,

Don aka Beastie

·
Registered
27 Posts
What I can't find are good instructions as to what the guys building HFs do. I have read about narrowing the trailer 4" but I don't know why or how. Someone posted a link where I found this post and this picture but I couldn't find good instructions. Can anyone point me to a post or posts that give a good explanation of the how and why of building this trailer.
The Delphie( spelling) forums might be your best source for instructions.
I have built 2HF trailers so far and you can spend exactly what you want from just your basic trailer and topper to wrapping it with Diamond plate. Then there's the lighting, you will have to deceide how much $$ youwant to spend here also. I built one for Sparks 480 on this board and I think he spent around $200 on the LEd lights we installed on it.
The main reason for narrowing the trailer, was to keep it close to the same width as the bike and it also cleans up the look of the trailer. I've seen trailer that just had the carrier attached to the trailer and nothing else was added. On the trailers I built I layed Diamond plate on the trailer frame then set the carrier top on the diamond plate.
Only you can deceide what you want the trailer to look like and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
226 Posts
beastie said:
Help needed :?:

Now that I have a trike, I am starting to seriously consider pulling a trailer. I have looked at a lot off them, comparing specs and prices. They range from the Harbor Freight/Sears Xcargo box to the Tailwind. From $300 to $7000.

One thing I don’t want to do is buy something and regret it later, for whatever reason. It’s just that $4000+ seems a lot to pay for a pretty box to haul stuff around in. In other words, I don’t want to but the MCTXL for $1600 and later wish I had spent more and bought the Bushtec or CSC or Hannigan. Nor do I want to spend $4000 and later wish I had bought something cheaper.

One consideration is the DIY. If I build my own using the Harbor Freight trailer and Sears box – unless I go to the extreme measures this guy did - I wouldn’t have over $300 in it. If I decided later I wanted something more expensive, buy it and sell the homemade one. One thing that bothers me about the HF trailer is that the manual (for both the 8" and 12" wheels) says “Do not exceed 45mph with this trailer.” This doesn’t bother those that have one though. They take off the wheels and re-pack the bearings and drive 100mph without worrying about it.
Take a look at this home made one. This is picture # 72 in his photo album.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/ ... gmount.jpg

I think he made his from one of the HF trailers and a Sears box. If you look at his pictures he really did a fine job on this rig. He even added shocks. It turned out really well. I have no idea what his final cost was but I would think he probably doesn’t have $500 in it and it really looks nice.

Thanks,

Don aka Beastie

Go with the Piggy Backer trailer. $595. Big seller lately. A lot better quality than one would expect!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HF Trailer

Don,
I am like you on the amount to spend on a trailer. I have a HF/Sears and it is all I need. The trailer was not cut down and it looks good. I think it is more stable that way. I see that you have a trike and the HF trailer would work fine without being cut. On the 55 MPR, I have puled mine at 80.
Geting too old to go any faster. Leave that to the young guy's. :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
GO PIGGYBACKER GO :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :D :D :) :)
$595 & ALL U CAN PACK :!: :!: :D :D :D
TOWS LIKE A BABY CARRIAGE :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
On the HF trailer that I recently built, I didn't make it thinner in any way. It has maybe 2 1/2 " of space, on both sides, between the box and the outer edge. I simply put in sheet metal to fill in the gap, and painted to match the rest of the trailer frame ( now gray ) and also perfectly matches the lower factory paint on my 1800 trike. Not only does it look great, but I feel that is more stable than a thinner model. It's still not as wide, as the trike, so no issue there. Making it thinner would mean cutting the straight axle beam, among other metal, and trying to weld, and keeping everything straight. NO THANKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts